WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana — The University of Iowa women’s tennis wrapped up the Purdue Invite on Sunday sweeping the doubles matches against Illinois at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes opened the day with a season-best performance in doubles. Alexa Noel and Samantha Mannix finished the invite undefeated after defeating Emilee and Kawai Duong, 6-4, at the top spot. Elise Van Heuvelen Treadwell and Samantha Gillas also came out with a win beating Asuka Kawai and Josie Frazier, 6-4, at the No. 2 position, while Danielle Bauers and Danielle Burich defeated Emily Casati and Ashley Yeah, 7-5.
The Hawkeyes followed in singles action, capturing wins at the top three positions. At the No. 1 spot, 97th-ranked Alexa Noel defeated Illinois’ Emilee Duong in three sets, 6-4, 6-7, (6), 10-4. Van Heuvelen Treadwell defeated No. 107 Asuka Kawai, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 2, and Samantha Mannix defeated Kate Duong, 6-3, 7-6, (3), at the No. 3 position.
Illinois won matches at 4-6. Samantha Gillas fell to Josie Frazier, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4, while Danielle Burich fell to Ashley Yeah in a tough battle, 7-5, 7-5, at the No. 5 position. Danielle Bauers, at the No. 6 spot fell to Emily Casati in three sets, 5-7, 6-2, 1-6.
No team scores were kept at the Purdue Invite.
“Today was another great day for us to continue to get better as a team. We had the opportunity to be in a tight competitive situation and play with some pressure on the line to close out some matches. I think we will get that much better from this experience. I’m glad we had three days of great tennis in a row and I think it was important for our team and we learned a lot.”
NO TEAM SCORE
Jan. 31, 2021 | 9 a.m. | West Lafayette, Indiana | Schwartz Tennis Center
- #97 Alexa Noel (IOWA) def. Emilee Duong (I): 6-4, 6-7, 10-4 (6)
- Elise Van Heurelen (IOWA) def. Asuka Kawai (I): 7-5, 6-1
- Samantha Mannix (IOWA) def. Kate Duong (I): 6-3, 7-3 (3)
- Josie Frazier (I) def. Samantha Gillas (IOWA): 6-1, 6-1
- Ashley Yeah (I) def. Danielle Burich (IOWA): 7-5, 7-5
- Emily Casati (I) def. Danielle Bauers (IOWA): 7-5, 2-6, 6-1
- Noel/Mannix (IOWA) def. K Doung/E Duong (I): 6-4
- Van Heurelen/Gillas (IOWA) def. Kawai/Frazier (I): 6-4
- Bacalla/Burich (IOWA) def. Casati/Yeah (I): 7-5