Iowa City, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team shutout Purdue, 4-0, Sunday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex (HTRC).
Iowa (2-2, 2-0) won the doubles point with victories on courts two and three. The first match was won by the duo of Peter Alam and Joe Tyler with a convincing 6-1 score. Moments after that, the No. 2 match finished with a result of 6-1 as well from the tandem of Kareem Allaf and Nikita Snezhko clinching the doubles point. The match at No. 1 was abandoned with a score of 5-2 in favor of the 17th-ranked team of Will Davies and Oliver Okonkwo.
In singles competition, Davies, Tyler, and Kerst took the first decisions to clinch the win. Davies bounced Santiago Galan convincingly, 6-3, 6-0 at No. 4. Tyler was the next Hawkeye to win in straight sets, topping Michael Wozniak, 6-1, 6-2. Kerst finished off the Boilermakers with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Tomasz Dudek.
“Jason is someone who has worked so hard the last five-plus years,” said Mellecker Family Head Men’s Tennis Coach Ross Wilson. “He has put everything he has into this team and the program. Everything he gets, he deserves.”
Singles matches on courts one, two, and six were unfinished once the Hawkeyes clinched the win. All three unfinished matches were in favor of the Hawkeyes when they were abandoned.
Iowa returns to action next Sunday, hosting Nebraska at the HTRC.
Iowa 4, Purdue 0
Feb. 21, 2021 | Noon | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. #39 Kareem Allaf (UI) vs. Mateo Julio (PUR): 7-5, 2-3 unfinished
2. Oliver Okonkwo (IU) vs. Sebastian Welch (PUR): 6-3, 2-4 unfinished
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Michael Wozniak (PUR): 6-1, 6-2
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Santiago Galan (PUR): 6-3, 6-0
5. Jason Kerst (UI) def. Tomasz Dudek (PUR): 6-3, 6-0
6. Peter Alam (UI) vs. Milledge Cossu (PUR): 7-6 (5), 2-2 unfinished
1. #17 Okonkwo/Davies (UI) vs. Julio/Wozniak (PUR): 5-2 unfinished
2. Allaf/Snezhko (UI) def. Cossu/Dudek (PUR): 6-1
3. Tyler/Alam (UI) def. Galan/Welch (PUR): 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,3,5)