Iowa City, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team remained undefeated in conference competition after Sunday’s 5-2 win over Nebraska at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
Iowa (3-2, 3-0) won the doubles point with victories on courts one and two. The Hawkeyes started of strong with a convincing 6-1 win from the 17th-ranked duo of Will Davies and Oliver Okonkwo. The second match to finish was the tandem of Kareem Allaf and Nikita Snezhko, who posted a 6-2 victory at No. 2 to clinch the point for Iowa. The No. 3 doubles match ended unfinished with the Hawkeyes leading, 5-3
In singles competition, Joe Tyler, Allaf, and Okonkwo were the trio to clinch the win for the Hawkeyes. Tyler had another dominant performance, winning with his third straight set match (6-3, 6-1). Okonkwo won, 6-4, 6-3, on court two. Allaf, ranked 39th nationally, also won his singles match on court one in three sets (6-4, 3-6, 6-1). Davies collected his third straight singles victory on court four, winning in three sets (6-2, 4-6, 6-4).
Jason Kerst and Peter Alam dropped their matches on matches at No. 5 and No 6, respectively.
Iowa 5, Nebraska 2
Feb. 28, 2021 | 3 p.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. #39 Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Victor Moreno Lozano (NEB): 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
2. Oliver Okonkwo (IU) def. Brandon Perez (NEB): 6-4, 6-3
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. William Gleason (NEB): 6-3, 6-1
4. Will Davies (UI) Albert Sprlak-Puk (NEB): 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5. Nic Wiedenhorn (NEB) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 6-3, 7-6(4)
6. Shunya Maruyama (NEB) def. Peter Alam (UI): 7-5, 6-1
1. #17 Okonkwo/Davies (UI) def. Sprlak-Puk/Perez (NEB): 6-1
2. Allaf/Snezhko (UI) def. Gleason/Perez (NEB): 6-2
3. Tyler/Alam (UI) vs Maruyama/Wiedenhorn (NEB): 5-3 unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,2,6,1,5,4)