The eighth-ranked University of Iowa men’s gymnastics team will travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, to compete in the Big Ten Championships on Saturday at 7 p.m. (CT) inside Pinnacle Bank Arena. Approximately 5,000 fans will be allowed, and tickets are available via Huskers.com.
The Hawkeyes’ rotation order will be as follows: floor, bye, pommel horse, rings, vault, parallel bars, high bar.
- Saturday’s Big Ten Championships will be televised on BTN with Dean Linke (play-by-play) and John Roethlisberger (color) on the call.
- Fans can follow along via live results at hawkeyesports.com or follow along on Twitter (@iowamgym).
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Iowa finished with a season-high 406.700 in its Senior Day victory over No. 4 Nebraska on March 20. It was the final home meet for the program.
- Senior Bennet Huang claimed the all-around title, as well as the title on floor, and Stewart Brown won on vault.
- Iowa is ranked No. 8 in the country in the Road to Nationals rankings. Iowa ranks fourth nationally on vault, eighth on high bar, pommelhorse, rings, and parallel bars, and ninth on floor.
- Junior Stewart Brown was named the College Gymnastics Association Specialist of the Week on March 25. He earned it after his 14.900 on vault, which is the fifth-highest vault score in the country this year and third-highest in Iowa history.
- Huang was named one of 11 finalists for the Nissen-Emory Award. The award is college gymnastics’ highest honor, presented annually to that year’s outstanding senior college gymnast.
- Twice this year a Hawkeye has been named Big Ten Gymnast of the Week. Huang earned that distinction on Feb. 1, and junior Evan Davis held that title on Feb. 13.
- Iowa’s team captains for the 2021 season are Bennet Huang, Evan Davis, and Peyton Hobson.
- The 2021 season will be the final season for the Iowa men’s gymnastics program. It was announced in August that the program would be discontinued because of the financial implications of the global coronavirus pandemic.
SEASON BEST MEET
Along with posting the top team score of the season against Nebraska, Iowa also posted season-bests on floor (69.100), rings (67.150), vault (72.100), and horizontal bar (66.150)
AA X 3
- Senior Bennet Huang, and juniors Evan Davis and Stewart Brown all finished with career best all-around performances on March 20 against Nebraska.
- All three gymnasts rank in the top-12 nationally in all-around. Huang ranks fifth with an 82.283 national qualifying average, while Davis is sixth with a 81.533 NQA. Stewart Brown is 12th with a NQA of 79.133.
IN THE NCAA RANKINGS
Stewart Brown – t10th – Vault – 14.667 20-10
Bennet Huang – 11th – Floor – 14.350
Bennet Huang – t11th – Pommel – 13.850
Carter Tope – 12th – Parallel Bars – 13.850
Amari Sewell – t16th – Vault – 14.550
Evan Davis – 16th – High Bar – 13.500
Peyton Hobson – t18th – Still Rings – 13.617
It was a total team effort as eight Hawkeyes scored career-bests on Senior Day:
- All-Around: Bennet Huang – 83.100, Evan Davis – 82.050, Stewart Brown – 79.500
- Pommelhorse: Evan Davis – 13.550, Drew Helberg – 13.400, Stewart Brown – 12.400
- Rings: James Friedman – 13.600, Stewart Brown – 13.200
- Vault: Stewart Brown – 14.900, Amari Sewell – 14.650
- Parallel Bars: Bennet Huang – 13.750, Peyton Hobson – 13.000
- Horizontal Bar: Evan Davis – 13.750, Noah Scigliano – 13.400, Stewart Brown – 13.150
ZAC TIDERMAN INJURY
Freshman Zac Tiderman’s season has come to an end after having a procedure to repair his meniscus. He was injured during warmups prior to the Hawkeyes’ home opener against No. 4 Illinois.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
Fans can follow the Iowa men’s gymnastics program on social media on Instagram (@iowamgym) with live updates on Twitter (@mensgymiowa) and via Facebook (iowamensgymnastics).
The Hawkeyes will head to Minneapolis to compete in the NCAA Championships from April 16-17 inside Maturi Pavilion.