IOWA CITY, Iowa – The reigning Big Ten regular season champion University of Iowa field hockey team released its 2022 fall schedule on Monday. The Hawkeyes will play eight games on Grant Field next season.
Below is a rundown of the 2022 schedule.
– Iowa will face six teams that played in the NCAA Tournament last season, including defending NCAA Champion Northwestern. The Hawkeyes will also face North Carolina, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State and Michigan (twice).
– The Hawkeyes open the season in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, for the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Iowa went 2-0 at the Challenge last season in Iowa City for the first time in school history.
– After opening the season on the road, Iowa will play five consecutive home games from Sept. 2-16. Iowa closes out the home schedule and the regular season against Michigan State on Oct. 28 for Senior Day.
– The Hawkeyes will play neutral site games against North Carolina, James Madison and Michigan during the regular season.
– The 2022 Big Ten Championships will be held in Columbus, Ohio, at Buckeye Varsity Field from Nov. 3-6.
– The opening weekend of the 2022 NCAA Tournament will be held from Nov. 11-13, while the Final Four will take place in Storrs, Connecticut, from Nov. 18-20.
The Hawkeyes will return 19 letterwinners from a team that went 17-3 and advanced to the 20th Elite Eight in program history. Iowa returns three All-Americans in Anthe Nijziel, Grace McGuire and Esme Gibson. Nijziel was the NFHCA All-West Region Player of the Year, Big Ten Co-Player of the Year and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year in 2021.