IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was edged by No. 70 Penn State, 4-3, on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
Freshman Barbora Pokorna and senior Michelle Bacalla won their doubles match at No. 3, defeating O’Gorman/Nielsen (6-4). Senior Samantha Gillas and freshman Marisa Schmidt were tied 5-5, but Ryan/Zuffova tallied the final two points (7-5) and secured the doubles point after teammates Chekhlystova/Friedland won on court one.
Penn State (7-8, 1-2) took the first two points in singles as Schmidt fell to Sofiya Chekhlystova (6-1, 6-2) and Bacalla fell to Gabby O’Gorman (6-2, 6-2).
Iowa (4-9, 0-2) answered with back-to-back victories to bring the score to 3-2. On court five, Gillas topped Alexandra Nielsen in straight sets (6-3, 6-1), while sophomore Vipasha Mehra added to Iowa’s rally by defeating Danielle Alamo (6-0, 7-6) on court six.
Senior Samantha Mannix went three sets against Yvonne Zuffova but fell in the third (2-6, 6-4, 6-1) allowing Penn State to clinch the win.
Pokorna bounced Karly Friedland in a tiebreaking set (3-6, 6-3, 7-6) on court four to close out the day with a win for the Hawkeyes.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“We were in another battle against a good Big Ten team and it continues to be the case that the opportunities are there to get a team victory. We are in the position where we need to keep working. The doubles point would be huge for us, and it’s something we haven’t been able to get in the last couple matches. It makes it an uphill climb for us without the doubles point, and if we can dedicate ourselves to working on our doubles and making some adjustments, I think it will make a difference for us.”
The Hawkeyes travel to Bloomington, Indiana, on Saturday to face Indiana. The match is set to start at 10 a.m. (CT) at the IU Tennis Center.
#70 Penn State 4, Iowa 3
1. Sofiya Chekhlystova (PSU) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-1, 6-2
2. Yvonne Zuffova (PSU) def. Samantha Mannix (UI): 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Gabby O’Gorman (PSU) def. Michelle Bacalla (UI): 6-2, 6-2
4. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Karly Friedland (PSU): 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(5)
5. Samantha Gillis (UI) def. Alexandra Nielsen (PSU): 6-3, 6-1
6. Vipasha Mehra (UI) def. Danielle Alamo (PSU): 6-0, 7-6(8-6)
1. Chekhlystova/Friedland (PSU) def. Mannix/Mehra (UI): 6-1
2. Ryan/Zuffova (PSU) def. Gillas/Schmidt (UI): 7-5
3. Bacalla/Pokorna (UI) def. O’Gorman/Nielsen (PSU): 6-4
Order of Finish: Singles (1,3,5,6,2,4) Doubles (1,3,2)