West Lafayette, Indiana – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to 65th-ranked Purdue, 4-1, on Sunday at Schwartz Tennis Center.
Freshman Barbora Pokorna and senior Samantha Mannix captured a doubles win at No. 2, defeating Rut Galindo/Tara Katrina Milic, 6-1. Iowa fell on courts one and three — both to the score of 6-3 — allowing the Boilermakers to secure the doubles point.
Iowa captured the first singles point to even the match. Sophomore Vipasha Mehra topped Nathalia Wolf Gasparin in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, on court six.
Purdue took the next three points on courts one, four, and five to secure the victory.
Both Mannix and Pokorna were in close matches in the third set before both matches were called.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“We fought hard today. I know the team is dedicated to continuing to work hard and fight for themselves and each other in matches.”
The Hawkeyes return to home to face Illinois on Friday, April 1. The match is set to start at 3 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis Recreation Complex.
#65 Purdue 4, Iowa 1
1. Csilla Fodor (PUR) def. Marisa Schmidt (IOWA): 6-3, 6-3
2. Carmen Gallardo Guevara (PUR) vs. Samantha Mannix (IOWA): 6-0, 4-6, 1-3, unfinished
3. Tara Katrina Milic (PUR) vs. Barbora Pokorna (IOWA): 6-4, 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
4. Juana Larranaga (PUR) def. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA): 6-1, 7-5
5. Seira Shimizu (PUR) def. Samantha Gillas (IOWA): 6-4, 6-4
6. Vipasha Mehra (IOWA) def. Nathalia Wolf Gasparin (PUR): 6-1, 6-3
1. Gasparin/Fodor (PUR) def. Schmidt/Gillas (IOWA): 6-3
2. Mannix/Pokorna (IOWA) def. Galindo/Milic (PUR): 6-1
3. Guevara/Shimizu (PUR) def. Bacalla/Mehra (IOWA): 6-3
Order of Finish: Singles (6,1,5,4) Doubles (2,3,1)