IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was topped by No. 59 Illinois, 4-2, on Friday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
Friday was the seventh time in the last ten matches that the Hawkeyes faced a ranked opponent.
Illinois (11-6, 4-1) clinched the doubles point with wins on courts one and two.
Iowa won the first singles point when senior Samantha Mannix defeated Josie Frazier at No. 3 in three sets (0-6, 6-0, 6-3) tying the score at one.
The Hawkeyes lost the next two singles matches are on courts four and one. Freshman Marisa Schmidt battled with opponent Kate Duong in three sets on court one, but ultimately fell to a score of 3-6, 6-3, 7-5.
Iowa (4-12, 0-5) gained another singles point when freshman Barbora Pokorna beat Ashley Yeah in two close sets, 7-6(0), 7-6(0), making the score 3-2.
Illinois clinched their final win on court five in three sets over senior Michelle Bacalla to secure the victory.
The Hawkeyes continue play at home on Sunday facing No. 37 Northwestern. The match is set to start at 11 a.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Admission is free.
#59 Illinois 4, Iowa 2
1. Kate Duong (ILL) def. Marisa Schmidt (IOWA): 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Barbora Pokorna (IOWA) def. Ashley Yeah (ILL): 7-6(0), 7-6(0)
3. Samantha Mannix (IOWA) def. Josie Frazier (ILL): 0-6, 6-0, 6-3
4. Megan Heuser (ILL) def. Samantha Gillis (IOWA): 7-5, 7-5
5. Kasia Treiber (ILL) def. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA): 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Vipasha Mehra (IOWA) vs. Shivani Ingle (ILL): 4-6, 6-4, 4-0 unfinished
1. Duong/Heuser (ILL) def. Gillas/Bacalla (IOWA): 6-3
2. Frazier/Yeah (ILL) def. Mannix/Pokorna (IOWA): 6-2
3. Mehra/Schmidt (IOWA) vs. Casati/Treiber (ILL): 3-4 unfinished
Order of Finish: Singles (3,4,1,2,5); Doubles (1,2)