COLLEGE PARK, Maryland– The University of Iowa women’s tennis team lost at Maryland, 5-2, on Friday at the Junior Tennis Champions Center.
Senior Michelle Bacalla and freshman Barbora Pokorna won their doubles match at No. 3 defeating Bach/Feodorov, 6-3. Sophomore Vipasha Mehra and freshman Marisa Schmidt battled on court two but was edged by Miranda/Perez Mur, 7-6, allowing the Terrapins to secure the doubles point after teammates Cadar/Brumfield won on court one.
Iowa (4-14, 0-7) secured the first singles point on court five. Senior Samantha Gillas defeated Jojo Bach in straight sets (6-1, 6-2) evening the score at one.
Maryland (14-4, 3-3) registered a victory on court four. Iowa answered with Pokorna topping Minorka Miranda (7-6, 6-3) on court three to tie the match again at two. The win was Pokorna’s fourth win in her last five decisions.
Bacalla fell to Francesca Feodorov (4-6, 5-7) on court six, and Schmidt fell to Selma Cadar in three sets (1-6, 6-4, 1-6) at No. 1 for Maryland to secure the win and remain unbeaten at home.
The Hawkeyes travel to New Brunswick, New Jersey, to challenge Rutgers. That match will begin at 10 a.m. (CT) on Sunday at the Rutgers Tennis Complex.
Maryland 5, Iowa 2
1. Selma Cadar (UM) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
2. Marta Perez Mur (UM) def. Samantha Mannix (UI): 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Minorka Miranda (UM): 7-6(3), 6-3
4. Mary Brumfield (UM) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI) 6-2, 6-4
5. Samantha Gillas (UI) def. Jojo Bach (UM): 6-1, 6-2
6. Francesca Feodorov (UM) def. Michelle Bacalla (UI): 6-4, 7-5
1. Cadar/Brumfield (UM) def. Mannix/Gillas (UI): 6-1
2. Miranda/Perez Mur (UM) def. Schmidt/Mehra (UI): 7-6
3. Bacalla/Pokorna (UI) def. Bach/Feodorov (UM): 6-3
Order of Finish: Singles (5,4,3,6,1,2) Doubles (1,3,2)