East Lansing, Michigan — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Michigan State, 4-1, on Thursday at the MSU Tennis Center.
Iowa (6-14, 2-7) captured wins on courts one and two to secure the doubles point. Senior Samantha Mannix and senior Samantha Gillas defeated Lewis/Pietrowicz, 6-3, to begin the night on court one. Freshman Marisa Schmidt and sophomore Vipasha Mehra followed with a 7-6 victory over Can/Gisclon at No. 2 to give Iowa the lead heading into singles play.
Iowa, who has now won back-to-back matches, captured singles points on courts five and two to increase its advantage to 3-0. Gillas recorded the first singles win for the Hawkeyes overcoming Charlotte Gisclon, 6-3, 6-1. Freshman Barbora Pokorna continued her strong play with a win over Maja Pietrowicz, 6-4, 6-2.
Schmidt fell at No. 1 to give Michigan State (9-10, 1-7) its lone point.
Senior Michelle Bacalla closed out the match with a victory over Tia Mukherjee in straight sets on court six, 7-5, 6-4.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“It is always great to get a conference win on the road. This feels good and is satisfying for the athletes. It was great to get the doubles point and have momentum into singles. I thought everyone played well. It truly was a team effort. We need moments like this to build confidence and keep taking it in as the season ends and as we prepare for the Big Ten Tournament.”
Iowa, who has played three straight road matches, will return to home to face Michigan on Sunday at 11 am (CT) on “Senior Day” at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
Iowa 4, Michigan State 1
1. Mary Lewis (MSU) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-4, 6-3
2. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Maja Pietrowicz (MSU): 6-4, 6-2
3. Ayshe Can (MSU) vs. Samantha Mannix (UI): 3-6, 7-5, unfinished
4. Lauren Lemonds (MSU) vs. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 4-6, 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
5. Samantha Gillas (UI) def. Charlotte Gisclon (MSU): 6-3, 6-1
6. Michelle Bacalla (UI) def. Tia Mukherjee (MSU): 7-5, 6-4
1. Mannix/Gillas (UI) def. Lewis/Pietrowicz (MSU): 6-3
2. Schmidt/Mehra (UI) def. Can/Gisclon (MSU): 7-6(0)
3. Mukherjee/Zdrubecka (MSU) vs. Pokorna/Bacalla (UI): 6-6 (2-5), unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,2,1,6)