The University of Iowa rowing team travels to Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championship on May 15. Live coverage of the event will available on BTN+.
The regatta begins at 8 a.m. (CT) with each following race set to begin 20 minutes after. The novice I and II boats will compete first, followed by the I, II, and III four boats, and finishing with the I and II eight boats. The awards ceremony of Sunday’s races will take place at 11:30 a.m. (CT).
Iowa finished seventh at last year’s Big Ten Championships with a combined point total of 55. Molly Rygh was awarded as the school’s sportsmanship honoree during the award ceremony.
BIG TEN HONORS
• The Hawkeyes 2V4 earned the team’s fourth Big Ten Boat of the Week after winning two races at their home regatta, including a win over No. 15 Oregon State by almost 12 seconds. This win extended the program record to four weekly honors this season. The 2V4 crew consisted of Kaitlyn Hansen (coxswain), Paige Leibfried, Liz Blewett, Maggie Winegar and Ellie Shaver.
• Iowa’s 3V4 won two of its three races at the Big Ten Invitational to earn the Big Ten Boat of the Week honors on April 19. The award-winning 3V4 included Mckenna Keen (coxswain), Paige Leibfried, Liz Blewett, Maggie Winegar and Riley Shultz.
• The Hawkeyes first varsity eight was named Big Ten Boat of the Week following its performance at the Ivy League-Big Ten Double Dual in Camden, New Jersey, on March 26.
• The Hawkeyes’ 1V8 crew picked up its first win of the season by pulling away from Harvard in the second half of the course and finishing in 6:34.3 — more than four seconds in front of Harvard’s top boat.
• Iowa’s 1V8 included Ava Parris (coxswain), Mary Wright, Molly Rygh, Kasi McWhorter, Emma Dabinett, Abbey Klostermann, Lisa Murphy, Hailey Mercuri and Emma Mask.
• The Hawkeyes’ 1V4 crew won Big Ten Boat of the Week on April 5 after its Grand Final at the Sunshine State Invitational, finishing with a time of 7:20.66 – more than six seconds ahead of second-place Kansas State.
• Iowa’s 1V4 included Livvy Osgood, Jaecee Hall, Heidi Hines, Laura Bates and Cara Burns (coxswain).
• Iowa won five races in its lone home regatta of the season on April 29 at the Coralville Reservoir.
• The Hawkeyes set a school record for Big Ten Boat of the Week award winners with its 1V8, 1V4, 2V4 and 3V4 crews earning accolades.
• Iowa picked up four victories at the Big Ten Invitational in Florida on April 15-16. Iowa’s 1V8 crew put together a successful victory, coming in just short of five seconds in front of runner-up Notre Dame. The Hawkeyes also put together a 1V4 win, this time beating Dartmouth by a second. The 3V4 crew had two wins in their first weekend of spring competition.
• The Hawkeyes’ 1V4 and novice eight crews each picked up grand final victories in Sarasota at the Sunshine State Invitational (April 1-2).
• Iowa captured two victories in its first regatta of the championship season. The Hawkeyes’ 1V8 boat came in first, finishing four seconds ahead of Harvard’s boat. The second victory occurred in the 2V4, with the Hawkeyes out-pacing Harvard by 28.8 seconds.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
Fans can follow the Iowa rowing program on social media via Instagram (@iowa_rowing) and Facebook (iowawomensrowing) with live updates on Twitter (@iowarowing).