IOWA CITY, Iowa – Two prep prospects from the class of 2023 signed with the University of Iowa men’s golf team this week. The Hawkeyes added Noah Kent of Naples, Florida, and Maxwell Tjoa from Cedar Falls, Iowa.
“We are proud to welcome these two talented young men to the program,” says head coach Tyler Stith. “They are here to work hard, compete and win. Both have strong Iowa connections and understand what it means to be a Hawkeye.”
(Gulf Coast High School)
High School Coaches: Kim Benedict and Ben Kitts
- Attended Gulf Coast High School for four years, leading his team to four top-12 finishes at state.
- Won regionals shooting 66 (-6) to advance to the state tournament this season.
- As a junior, finished runner-up at the state tournament in Class 3A; named Southwest Florida Player of the Year, posting the lowest scoring average in school history (35).
- Matched 35 scoring average as a senior this season, also posting Florida high school record round of 64; three-time tournament medalist, including district championship.
- Named first team all-conference three time in high school, along with second team-all conference honors as a freshman.
- District champion as a sophomore, posting a 36 stroke average.
- Medalist at Florida Junior Tour Skyview Open and South Florida PGA Patty Berg Junior Championship.
- Placed second at the South Dakota GreatLIFE Open.
- 11th place at the 2022 Porter Cup.
- Uncle Chris Kuehl played football at the University of Iowa.
Coach Stith on Kent:
“Noah is a physically gifted player with a strong work ethic and desire to be great. He is always trying to learn and improve his game. He has developed into a very good player and will make an impact on this team next fall.”
Cedar Falls, Iowa
(Cedar Falls High School)
High School Coach: Jeremiah Longnecker
- First-team All-State each of the past three seasons, as well as second team All-State honors as a freshman in 2019.
- Led Cedar Falls High School to a team State championship in Class 4A in 2021; the Tigers placed second in 2022, third in 2020 and seventh in 2019.
- Named 2022 Iowa Golf Association Boys Player of the Year.
- Recorded the low round in 2022 for Iowa high school boys golf, shooting 63 at Brown Deer Golf Course; 63 marks a school record for low 18-hole round.
- 2022 AJGA Westrock Junior Champion with a tournament record nine-under par scorecard.
- 2021 AJGA Preview Champion at Meadowbrook Country Club.
- Participated in the 2021 US Junior Amateur at the Country Club of North Carolina in Pinehurst, North Carolina.
- 2022 Rolex AJGA best rank: 67th.
- Recorded four top-ten finishes at AJGA.
- High school honor roll recipient 2019-202 with a 3.7/4.0 GPA.
Coach Stith on Tjoa:
“Max has consistently won at every level and established himself as the best junior player in the state. He has a solid overall game and loves to practice and get better. He brings a lot of tournament experience and winning mentality to our team.”