CHICAGO – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team, ranked No. 40 nationally, was edged by DePaul, 4-3, on Tuesday at the XS Tennis Village.
The Hawkeyes won the doubles point to start the match with wins on courts two and three. On court two, Daianne Hayashida/Vipasha Mehra bounced Kizelbasheva/Smith (6-4). Pia Kranholdt/Samantha Mannix was victorious over Carbone/Yergler (6-2). On court one, Anya Lamoreaux/Maria Schmidt were behind Antonijevic/Nobbs, 5-3, but the match was called once the Hawkeyes captured the doubles point.
Hayashida recorded Iowa’s first win on court five with a straight-set victory over Valentina Martin (6-2, 6-0). Mannix also notched a victory on court three, winning against Hannah Smith (4-6, 6-4, 6-4). Schmidt and Pokorna both took their matches to a third set, but ultimately lost.
Schmidt fell to Yuliya Kizelbasheva (6-2, 2-6, 2-6) at No. 1, Mehra lost to Eleanor Nobbs (5-7, 2-6) at No. 2, while Greta Carbone beat Kranholdt (3-6, 0-6) at No. 6.
With the team score tied 3-3, the match came down to Pokorna’s match on court four. Pokorna was defeated by Lenka Antonijevic (7-6, 4-6, 5-7). The third set reached a 5-5 tie before Antonijevic won the final two points to secure the match for the Blue Demons.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“Credit to DePaul; they came out and competed to get four singles wins today. This was a tough loss for us. Difficult losses, like today, have a lot to teach us, so we have to learn from it and be better in the long run.”
The Hawkeyes return home to face fourth-ranked Iowa State in an Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series match on Friday. The match will start at 5 p.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. Admission is free to the public.
DePaul 4, #40 Iowa 3
1. Yuliya Kizelbasheva (DPU) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Eleanor Nobbs (DPU) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI), 7-5, 6-2
3. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. Hannah Smith (DPU): 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Lenka Antonijevic (DPU) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-7, 6-4, 7-5
5. Daianne Hayashida (UI) def. Valentina Martin (DPU): 6-2, 6-0
6. Greta Carbone (DPU) def. Pia Kranholdt (UI): 6-3, 6-0
1. Antonijevic/Nobbs (DPU) vs Lamoreaux/Schmidt (UI): 5-3, unfinished
2. Mehra/Hayashida (UI) def. Kizelbasheva/Smith (DPU): 6-4
3. Kranholdt/Mannix (UI) def. Carbone/Yergler (DPU): 6-2
Order of Finish: Singles (6,5,2,1,3,4); Doubles (3,2)