ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team, ranked No. 60 nationally, fell to No. 3 Michigan on Wednesday, 4-0, at the Varsity Tennis Center.
Iowa lost the doubles point with losses on all three courts. Marisa Schmidt/Samantha Mannix came up short on court one to second-ranked Jaedan Brown/Kari Miller (6-4). On court two, Daianne Hayashida/Vipasha Mehra dropped their match to No. 69 Julia Fliegner/Lily Jones (6-2). Barbora Pokorna/Pia Kranholdt had a similar result on court three, losing to Merri Kelly/Andrea Cerdan (6-2).
The Hawkeyes had singles losses on courts six, five, and one. In the three unfinished matches, Mannix, Hayashida and Mehra all took their first sets to 6-5 pushing their opponents to finish with a seventh point. Schmidt, Pokorna, and Kranholdt lost their matches in straight sets. Schmidt lost to No. 50 Kari Miller on court one (6-3, 6-0). On court five, Pokorna dropped her match to No. 118 Gala Mesochoritou (6-4, 6-3). Kranholdt was defeated on court six to Merri Kelly (6-2, 6-0).
The Hawkeyes will travel back home this week to play Michigan State. Action will start at 5 p.m. (CT) on Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex. Admission is free to the public.
#3 Michigan 4, #60 Iowa 0
1. #50 Kari Miller (MICH) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI) : 6-3, 6-0
2. #34 Julia Fliegner (MICH) vs. Samantha Mannix (UI): 7-5, 3-3 unfinished
3. Andrea Cerdan (MICH) vs. Daianne Hayashida (UI): 7-5, 3-3 unfinished
4. #54 Lily Jones (MICH) vs. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 7-5, 4-0 unfinished
5. #118 Gala Mesochoritou (MICH) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-4, 6-3
6. Merri Kelly (MICH) def. Pia Kranholdt (UI): 6-2, 6-0
1. #2 Jaedan Brown/Kari Miller def. Samantha Mannix/Marisa Schmidt (UI) : 6-4
2. #69 Julia Fliegner/Lily Jones def. Daianne Hayashida/Vipasha Mehra (UI): 6-4
3. Merri Kelly/Andrea Cerdan def. Barbora Pokorna/Pia Kranholdt (UI): 6-2
Order of Finish: Singles (6,5,1); Doubles (3,2,1)