IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team, ranked No. 54 nationally, defeated No. 63 Nebraska, 4-1, on Saturday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex.
The Hawkeyes (7-6 , 2-1) lost the doubles point with setbacks on courts one and two. On court three, Barbora Pokorna/Pia Kranholdt secured a 6-4 win against Loy/Danilchenko. Daianne Hayashida/Vipasha Mehra dropped their doubles match on court two against Gallego/Zamburek, 6-4. With each team securing a doubles win, it came down to the last match on court one. In the end, Marisa Schmidt/Samantha Mannix came close but ultimately dropped their match to Alicea/Lacasse, 6-4.
In singles competition, Iowa was able to rally and post four points on courts five, four, six, and two. Pokorna started things off on court five with a straight-set win against Anfisa Danilchenko (6-1, 6-1). Mehra followed suit with another straight-set victory, bouncing Raphaëlle Lacasse on court four (6-2, 6-2). On court six, Kranholdt finished her second set against Jillian Roa with a straight-set win (6-3, 6-1). Moving into the third set with Iowa leading 3-1, Mannix closed out the match at No. 2 with a triumph over Ana Carmen Zamburek (2-6, 6-1, 6-3). Schmidt and Hayashida’s matches went unfinished after the Hawkeyes clinched.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“It was a good win today. Of course we don’t want to put ourselves behind one to zero after doubles. I think it is good that we’re resilient in those situations. But I also hope that we can move forward and have a point on the board after doubles, too. That being said, this was another competitive Big Ten match. I was happy with the way everybody really fought hard and we were able to get four points. I think the straight set victories were important to be able to control momentum once singles started.”
The Hawkeyes will remain home next weekend hosting Purdue. Action will start at 1 p.m. (CT) on Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex. Admission is free to the public.
#54 Iowa 4, #63 Nebraska 1
1. Marisa Schmidt (UI) vs. Isabel Adrover Gallego (NEB): 3-6, 6-2, 2-4 unfinished
2. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. Ana Carmen Zamburek (NEB): 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Daianne Hayashida (UI) vs. Samantha Alicea (NEB): 2-6, 6-0, 4-2 unfinished
4. Vipasha Mehra (UI) def. Raphaëlle Lacasse (NEB) : 6-2, 6-2
5. Barbora Pokorna (UI) def. Anfisa Danilchenko (NEB): 6-1, 6-1
6. Pia Kranholdt (UI) def. Jillian Roa (NEB): 6-3, 6-1
1. Alicea/Lacasse (NEB) def. Schmidt/Mannix (UI): 6-4
2. Gallego/Zamburek (NEB) def. Hayashida/Mehra (UI): 6-4
3. Pokorna/Kranholdt (UI) def. Loy/Danilchenko (NEB): 6-4
Order of Finish: Singles (5,4,6,2); Doubles (3,2,1)