IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team, ranked No. 57 nationally, was defeated by Indiana, 4-2, on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex.
The Hawkeyes (8-6, 3-2) opened play by securing the doubles point on courts one and three. Barbora Pokorna/Pia Kranholdt started things off on court three with a win against Mejic/Hu, 6-0. On court one, Sam Mannix/Vipasha Mehra wrapped it up by bouncing Schneider/Nihalani, 6-4. Marisa Schmidt/Daianne Hayashida were tied (5-5) on court two against Staiculescu/Teodosescu, but the match went unfinished after Iowa clinched the point.
The Hoosiers posted wins on courts one, four, five, and six to win the match. On court four, Mehra dropped her match to Alexandra Staiculescu (6-4, 6-3). Pokorna fell to Nicole Teodosescu on court five (6-4, 6-4). Mannix recorded Iowa’s only singles victory, beating Saby Nihlani (6-3, 2-3, 6-2).
Kranholdt battled hard against Xiaowei Hu on court six, but fell short in the third set (6-1, 4-6, 7-5). Indiana clinched the match on court one when Lara Schneider edged Schmidt (6-2, 7-6). The second set stretched to an 11-9 tiebreak score.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“It was a hard-fought, difficult battle today with Indiana. Got to give Indiana credit for being able to step up and be tough in some important moments in the singles portion of the match. No doubt disappointing for our group. We will have to try and take away what we can, learn from it and get ready for Penn State.”
The Hawkeyes will head east next Friday to face Penn State, then travel to Ohio State on Sunday. Competition will start at 1 p.m. (ET) on Friday, and 11 a.m. (ET) on Sunday.
Indiana 4, #57 Iowa 2
1. Lara Schneider (IND) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-2, 7-6
2. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. Saby Nihalani (IND): 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
3. Daianne Hayashida (UI) vs. Mila Mejic (IND): 4-6, 6-4, 5-2 unfinished
4. Alexandra Staiculescu (IND) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI) : 6-4, 6-3
5. Nicole Teodosescu (IND) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 6-4, 6-4
6. Xiaowei Hu (IND) def. Pia Kranholdt (UI): 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
1. Mannix/Mehra (UI) def. Schneider/Nihalani (IND): 6-4
2. Schmidt/Hayashida (UI) vs. Staiculescu/Teodosescu (IND): 5-5, unfinished
3. Pokorna/Kranholdt (UI) def. Mejic/Hu (IN): 6-0
Order of Finish: Singles (4,5,2,6,1); Doubles (3,1)