University of Iowa rowing is set to travel to Redwood Shores, California, on April 29-30, for the PAC-12 Invite at the Redwood Shores Lagoon.
EVENT SCHEDULE (All times Central)
vs. Stanford: Noon – 1V8 // 12:10 – 2V8 // 12:20 – 1V4 // 12:30 – 2V4
vs. Cal: 5:40 – 1V8 // 5:50 – 2V8 // 6:00 – 1V4 // 6:10 – 2V4
vs. SMU: 11:00 – 1V8 // 11:10 – 2V8 // 11:20 – 1V4 // 11:30 – 2V4
ABOUT THE HAWKEYES
• Juniors Emma Dabinett and Abbey Klostermann enter the 2023 season after receiving first and second team all-Big Ten honors in the 2022 season.
• Iowa’s Varsity Eight earned B1G Boat of the Week on April 18, 2023, after a sweep in Kansas City, Kansas.
• Iowa recorded a program-high four Big Ten Boat of the Week honors during the 2022 championship season.
• The Hawkeye’s placed fifth at the 2022 Big Ten Championships – the program’s best finish since 2019.
• Junior Hailey Mercuri represented her home country of Canada in the U23 World Rowing Championships during July in Varese, Italy.
• Senior Molly Rygh was the Big Ten Sportsmanship Honoree recipient at the 2022 Big Ten Championships.
• Iowa’s roster represents a total of six countries and nine states, including 39 athletes from Iowa.
• Iowa’s coaching staff includes Associate Head Coach Megan Fitzpatrick, and Assistant Coaches Katie Thurstin and Lowell McNicholas.
CLIMBING THE RANKS
Iowa is receiving votes in the latest edition of the CRCA Pocock Poll. Iowa spent the last two weeks ranked 19th in the country. It was the first time since 2021, the Hawkeyes were tabbed as Top-20 program.
LAST TIME OUT: LAKE WHEELER INVITE
The Hawkeyes picked up four top placements and had an average finish of 2.06 through 15 races. Iowa led the field in second place finishes with eight which was good for fourth overall against a field with three Top-15 opponents and three teams receiving votes in the CRCA Poll. 18 teams competed all together.
B1G/B12 DOUBLE DUAL RECAP
Iowa gave its competition all it could handle in Kansas City, Kansas. The Hawkeyes won six of the seven events in the Big Ten/Big 12 Double Dual against Kansas, Oklahoma, and Minnesota.
THE FIELD: PAC-12 INVITE
The Hawkeyes will face another high-level pool of opponents in No. 4 Stanford, No. 7 California, and No. 12 SMU. The Cardinal defeated the Golden Bears in four out of five races on April 15, 2023. Stanford comes off one of its best seasons in recent history, earning the program’s first Pac-12 Championship since 2014.
QUOTE FROM HEAD COACH JEFF GARBUTT
“We are looking forward to heading out to Redwood Shores. It’s going to be another great test for our team’s progress to prep us for the Big Ten Championship. Cal, SMU, and Stanford are three of the finest programs around, so we’re excited to see how we compete out there.”