The University of Iowa men’s golf team is traveling to South Bend, Indiana to compete in the Fighting Irish Classic. The tournament will tee off on Sunday and continue through Monday at Warren Golf Course.
The 54-hole tournament tees off on Sunday at 7:30 am (CT) with two rounds being played and continues Monday at 7:00 am with the final 18-holes being played.
FOLLOW THE ACTION
You can follow this week’s action by visiting golfstat.com for live scoring. Links can be found on the men’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
1) Mac McClear
2) Noah Kent
3) Max Tjoa
4) Hogan Hansen
5) Callum Macfie
One of the premier collegiate courses, Warren Golf Course was rated the No. 70 public golf course in North America by GOLF in 2021. Spanning 7,020 yards, the par 71 course has hosted numerous prominent tournaments including multiple US Open qualifiers and the 2019 US Senior Open.
HISTORY AT THE FIGHTING IRISH CLASSIC
The Hawkeyes won the 2010 Fighting Irish Classic with a team score of 853 (+13). Iowa placed fourth at the event in 2018, posting a combined score of 833 (-13) to mark the second-lowest team score in program history, and finished third in 2019.
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa men’s golf program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” Hawkeye men’s golf on Facebook and follow @IowaHawkeyeGolf on Twitter and Instagram.
HAWKEYE TEE SHOTS
– McClear, Kent, and Tjoa lead the team with three rounds at par or better.
– McClear leads the team in stroke average at 70.7.
MCCLEAR TIES SCHOOL RECORD
Fifth-year senior Mac McClear tied a school record winning his sixth induvial championship as a Hawkeye, previously set by Lonnie Nelson in 1976. McClear won the ANF Classic shooting a 12-under par after 54 holes. McClear carded a 67, 5-under par, each of his last two rounds. McClear is coming off a season where he had 9 top-25 finishes, co-Big Ten Champion, All-Big Ten Second Team recognition, and Division I PING All-Midwest honors.
– The Hawkeyes welcomed four fresh faces to their program this fall. They brought in two freshmen and two transfer students.
– Cale Leonard, a sophomore from Ottumwa, Iowa. Leonard started his collegiate career at Drake before transferring to Iowa. Leonard had a pair of top-25 finishes last year as a freshman at Drake.
– Josh Lundmark, a graduate student from Hinsdale, Ill. Lundmark spent four years at Cornell before transferring to Iowa this fall. Lundmark was high school teammates with Mac McClear where they won three state tournament titles together. Lundmark led Cornell in stroke average each of his last two seasons.
– Maxwell Tjoa, a freshman from Cedar Falls, Iowa. Tjoa recorded the low round in 2022 for Iowa high school boys golf, shooting a 63 at Brown Deer Golf Course. Tjoa was named the 2022 Iowa Golf Association Boys Player of the Year.
– `Noah Kent, a freshman from Naples, Fla. Kent was named the Southwest Florida Player of the Year. Kent led his team to four top-12 finishes at state including finishing state runner-up. Kent set a Florida high school record after carding a 64 through 18 holes.
The Hawkeyes will travel to Biloxi, Mississippi to compete in the Fallen Oak Collegiate Invitational in their last tournament of the fall season. The tournament will take place from Oct. 15th-17th at Fallen Oak Golf Course.