The University of Iowa men’s golf team will be traveling to Biloxi, Mississippi to compete in the Fallen Oak Collegiate Invitational. This will be the last tournament of the Hawkeye’s fall season.
The three-day tournament tees off Sunday and continues Monday with the final round being played on Tuesday. 18-holes will be played each day. The start time for the tournament is yet to be announced.
FOLLOW THE ACTION
You can follow this week’s action by visiting golfstat.com for live scoring. Links can be found on the men’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
12 schools will be facing off in the Fallen Oak Collegiate Invitational and will square off at Fallen Oak Golf Course. The field includes Auburn, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Mississippi, UCF, UNLV, and Wisconsin.
Fallen Oak, the Tom Fazio-designed course extends 7,480 yards from the back tees. The course is characterized by a lush, rolling landscape covered in oak and pine ridges, magnolias, pecan groves, large lakes, winding streams and wetlands. The course features 10 bridges and concealed cart paths to protect the natural features of the terrain. Opened in 2006 to rave reviews and debuted at No. 19 on Golf Digest’s America’s 100 Greatest Public Courses, Fallen Oak has proved to be an impressive course. Golfweek ranked it the best golf course “you can play” in Mississippi and for the 16th straight year, has named Fallen Oak the No. 2 Casino Course in the country.
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa men’s golf program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” Hawkeye men’s golf on Facebook and follow @IowaHawkeyeGolf on Twitter and Instagram.
HAWKEYE TEE SHOTS
• McClear and Kent lead the team with four rounds at par or better
• McClear leads the team in stroke average at 71.1
The Hawkeyes welcomed four fresh faces to their program this fall. They brought in two freshmen and two transfer students.
• Cale Leonard, a sophomore from Ottumwa, Iowa. Cale started his collegiate career at Drake before transferring to Iowa. Leonard had a pair of top-25 finishes last year as a freshman at Drake.
• Josh Lundmark, a graduate student from Hinsdale, Ill. Lundmark spent four years at Cornell before transferring to Iowa this fall. Lundmark was high school teammates with Mac McClear where they won three state tournament titles together. Lundmark led Cornell in stroke average each of his last two seasons.
• Maxwell Tjoa, a freshman from Cedar Falls, Iowa. Tjoa recorded the low round in 2022 for Iowa high school boys golf, shooting a 63 at Brown Deer Golf Course. Tjoa was named the 2022 Iowa Golf Association Boys Player of the Year.
• Noah Kent, a freshman from Naples, Fla. Kent was named the Southwest Florida Player of the Year. Kent led his team to four top-12 finishes at state including finishing state runner-up. Kent set a Florida high school record after carding a 64 through 18 holes.
ON THE LINKS
The Hawkeyes tied for 11th last time out at the Fighting Irish Classic. The Hawkeyes low finishers were freshman Max Tjoa and fifth-year senior Mac McClear. McClear and Tjoa both carded a 216 (+6) to tie for 36th place.
The Hawkeyes will round up their fall season at the Fallen Oak Collegiate Invitational. The next time the Hawkeyes will be in action will be February 11th-13th at the Puerto Rico Classic.