The University of Iowa men’s golf team is set to compete in the Puerto Rico Classic in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Feb. 11th-13th at Grand Reserve Golf Club hosted by Purdue.
The 54-hole tournament tees off on Sunday and concludes Tuesday with 54-holes being played through three days. The tournament tees of at 8:30 a.m. (CT), with the Hawkeyes teeing off at 9:30 a.m. (CT).
FOLLOW THE ACTION
You can follow this week’s action by visiting golfstat.com for live scoring. Links can be found on the men’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
15 schools will be traveling to Puerto Rico to compete headlined by five ranked opponents: College of Charleston, ETSU, Georgia, Marquette, Minnesota, North Florida, No. 20 Ohio State, No. 3 Ole Miss, No. 14 Oklahoma, Purdue, South Carolina, No. 7 Tennessee, No. 15 Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Designed by PGA Tour professional, Tom Kite, the unique 18- hole course brings a dynamic golfing experience like no other. The immaculate course features seashore paspalum grass, white silica sand bunkers and challenging water hazards for truly world-class play.
HAWKEYES AT THE PUERTO RICO CLASSIC
This marks the fifth year of the Hawkeyes in the Puerto Rico Classic, debuting in 2019 where they placed seventh out of 15 teams. In 2022 Mac McClear shot 8-under par (64) in the tournaments final round to finish tied for ninth. McClear’s final round 64 marked the third lowest round in program history. In last year’s tournament the Hawkeyes finished above No. 28 Purdue and No. 45 Marquette.
The Puerto Rico Classic is hosted annually by Purdue University; 2024 marks the 31st year of the event and its third year at Grand Reserve Golf Club. The individual medalist at the Puerto Rico Classic will receive an invitation to the PGA Tour’s Puerto Rico Open March 7th-10th.
SIGNING DAY RECAP
Three prep student-athletes – Jack McCarty, Chance Rinkol, and Ryan Shellberg signed national letters of intent with the University of Iowa men’s golf program, announced by Head Coach Tyler Stith.
• Jack McCarty – Solon, Iowa
– Three-time Iowa Junior Open Champion (2021, 2022, 2023) – Attended Solon High School for four years, leading his team to three top-five finishes at the state tournament
– As a senior, finished third at the state tournament in Class 3A – Father, Sean McCarty, was a member of the Iowa golf team from 1992-1995
• Chance Rinkol – Leawood, Kansas
– 2021 Kansas 6A Individual State Champion
– Ranked No. 46 on the Rolex class of 2024 rankings
– Led team to two state tournament victories
– Winer of the 2023 AJGA Joplin Junior Championship & 2023 Midwest PGA Junior Championship
• Ryan Shellberg – Prosper, Texas
– Set a school record for low round, carding a 63
– Won the Texas Junior Golf Alliance
– Three-time all district and two-time all region selection
– Placed second at the AJGA Mizuno Junior Championship
FALL SEASON WRAP-UP
Iowa concluded their fall golf season at the Fallen Oak Collegiate Invitational in Biloxi, Miss. at Fallen Oak Golf Course. Junior Ian Meyer was the low scorer for the Hawkeyes at 4-over par. Meyer finished tied for twenty-third place.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH TYLER STITH
“We’re excited to start the spring season in Puerto Rico. The field presents a strong test and we need to be on top of our games. The team is focused and will be ready to compete.”
The Hawkeyes will travel to Pinehurst, N.C. where they will compete in the Wake Forest Invitational at Pinehurst No. 2. The 54-hole tournament will tee of on March 4th and conclude on the 5th.