March 26, 2006
COLUMBUS, OH – The No. 39 Iowa women’s tennis team defeated No. 66 Ohio State today, 4-3. Iowa claimed the doubles point as well as three singles wins in the victory. Iowa now posts a 10-3 record, including 2-0 in the Big Ten.
In doubles competition, Iowa was victorious in all three matches. At the number one doubles position, Meg Racette/Jacqueline Lee defeated Caitlin O’Keefe/Julie Blackmore in a tiebreaking set, 9-8 (7-2). Milica Veselinovic and Krissy Dowlin were also in a tiebreaking set at the number three doubles spot, and defeated Ciara Finucane/Kristin Messmer, 9-8 (7-4). Hillary Mintz/Kayla Berry defeated Sonia Ruzimovsky/Angela DiPastina, 8-3 at the number two doubles position.
After winning the doubles point, Ohio State tied the match at one all with their win at the number five singles position over Kayla Berry, 6-3, 6-2. Iowa pulled ahead with Jacqueline Lee defeating Finucane, 6-2, 6-2 at the number four singles position. With the victory, Lee improved her winning streak to 11 and her spring record to 12-1.
Ohio State tied the match again, with a win at the number six singles position, defeating Merel Beelen, 7-6, 6-3. Iowa went ahead, 3-2 with No. 33 Racette defeating O’Keefe, 6-1, 6-0 at the number one position. Racette improved her spring record to 10-3 with the win.
Veselinovic clinched the win for Iowa with a win at the number three singles position, defeating Blackmore, 6-4, 6-1.
At the number two singles position, Mintz was defeated by Ruzimovsky in a tiebreaking set, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5) in the longest singles match of the season, at three hours and twenty minutes.
“Today’s doubles matches were unbelievable. Both teams played well, and it was a hard earned sweep for us. The whole match was a seesaw match and we had to play hard to win. Ohio State is a much improved team and we had to battle today for our win. I’m proud of the way the girls played today,” said Iowa Head Coach Daryl Greenan.
Iowa will compete at home, April 1st and 2nd, competing against Michigan State and Michigan. Competition will take place at Clark Racquet Center in Cedar Rapids, and will begin at 10 a.m. both days.
1. #33 Meg Racette (UI) def. Caitlin O'Keefe (OSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) def. Hillary Mintz (UI) 6-4, 6-7 (5-7),7-6 (7-5)
3. Milica Veselinovic (UI) def. Julie Blackmore (OSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Jacqueline Lee (UI) def. Ciara Finucane (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kristin Messmer (OSU) def. Kayla Berry (UI) 6-3, 6-2
6. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Merel Beelen (UI) 7-6, 6-3="https://hawkeyesports.com/http:%3E%3C/ahref="http:>="https://hawkeyesports.com/http:%3E%3C/ahref="http:>="https://hawkeyesports.com/http:%3E%3C/ahref="http:>
1. Meg Racette/Jacqueline Lee (UI) def.Caitlin O'Keefe/Julie Blackmore (OSU) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Hillary Mintz/Kayla Berry (UI) def.Sonia Ruzimovsky/Angela DiPastina (OSU) 8-3
3. Milica Veselinovic/Krissy Dowlin (UI) def.Ciara Finucane/Kristin Messmer (OSU) 9-8 (7-4)