March 15, 2009
Tucson, AZ – –
The University of Iowa men’s tennis team fell to No. 19 Arizona Sunday, 7-0. With the loss, the 52nd-ranked Hawkeyes move to 8-2 on the season.
Iowa was defeated in two out of three doubles matches, to lose the point. Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos continued their strong play at the No. 3 doubles position. The duo defeated Ravid Hazi and Ola Bakke, 8-3, to stay undefeated in dual match play.
Iowa couldn’t find enough momentum going into singles play, and were defeated in all six matches. Senior Christian Bierich was defeated by Jay Goldman of Arizona 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 1 position. Nikita Zotov fell 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 2 position, while Reinoud Haal was defeated 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 position for the Hawkeyes. No. 4 singles Vasos fell 6-2, 6-4, while his doubles partner McGeorge was defeated at the No. 5 position 6-3, 6-4. Greg Holm played at the No. 6 position for Iowa, falling 6-2, 6-2 at the spot.
Iowa will return to Iowa City March 20 to host Big Ten foe Michigan State at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. (CST).
1. Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (Arizona) def. Christian Bierich/Nikita Zotov (Iowa) 8-3
2. Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (Arizona) def. Reinoud Haal/Greg Holm (Iowa) 8-4
3. Will Vasos/Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) def. Ravid Hazi/Ola Bakke (Arizona) 8-3
1. Jay Goldman (Arizona) def. Christian Bierich (IOWA) 6-3, 6-2
2. Andres Arango (Arizona) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1
3. Andres Carrasco (Arizona) def. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ravid Hazi (Arizona) def. Will Vasos (IOWA) 6-2, 6-4
5. Pat Metham (Arizona) def. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jason Zafiros (Arizona) def. Greg Holm (IOWA) 6-2, 6-2