Sept. 14, 2009
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
WAYZATA, MN- The University of Iowa men’s golf team put together the third-best team score of the day during the final round at the Golden Gopher Invitational Monday. The Hawkeyes fired a combined 17 birdies in the third round, on their way to an 18-hole total of 290 (+2) and a fifth place finish in the 12-team tournament. The fifth annual tournament, played at Spring Hill Golf Club in Wayzata, MN, was won by Southern Methodist University, who carded a 54-hole total of 856 (-8).
Vince India led the Hawkeyes, as he carded a 54-hole score of 215 (-1) and finished tied for fourth. The junior finished the tournament strong after carding a 70 (-2) each of the last two rounds, his lowest score this season.
“Vince put in some extra time last night on the putting green and I think it paid off for him,” said Head Coach Mark Hankins. “He had eight one-putt holes today and that’s what made the difference for him in the end. Not many golfer shot rounds under par today.”
Sophomore Brad George also put together a top-20 performance (T17) after shooting an even par final round to finish with a score of 220 (+4). Brad Hopfinger tied for 21st after making birdie on two of the last three holes. The junior carded a 74 (+2), Monday, and finished the tournament with a score of 222 (+6). Sophomore Barrett Kelpin fired four birdies in the final round to finish tied for 27th with a score of 223 (+7). Additionally, sophomore Chris Brant carded a 54-hole score of 226 (+10) and finished tied for 38th.
“Our goal in every tournament is to learn about the golf course and improve every round,” said Hankins. “Overall, we continued to get better with each round and I’m pleased with where the guys finished.”
The Hawkeyes will be back in action Sept. 28-29 when they travel to Richmond, VA for the VCU Shootout.
1. Southern Methodist 285-290-281=856 (-8)
2. Arkansas 296-281-288=865 (+1)
3. Minnesota 292-285-291=868 (+4)
4. UNC-Charlotte 298-281-296=875 (+11)
5. IOWA 294-294-290=878 (+14)
6. Notre Dame 302-286-293=881 (+17)
7. UNC-Wilmington 287-299-299=885 (+21)
8. Wisconsin 306-294-293=893 (+29)
9. Lamar 304-292-298=894 (+30)
10. UNC-Greensboro 301-301-297=899 (+35)
11. Miami (Ohio) 300-306-303=909 (+45)
12. Northern Iowa 306-291-313=910 (+46)
Individual Results – Par 72 (Top 3 + Iowa)
1. Kelly Kraft (SMU) 67-70-64=201 (-15)
2. Ben Pisani (Minnesota) 65-71-73=209 (-7)
3. David Lingmerth (Arkansas) 75-69-68=212 (-4)
T4. Vince India (UI) 75-70-70=215 (-1)
T17. Brad George (UI) 74-74-72=220 (+4)
T21. Brad Hopfinger (UI) 72-76-74=222 (+6)
T27. Barrett Kelpin (UI) 73-76-74=223 (+7)
T38. Chris Brant (UI) 77-74-75=226 (+10)