Sept. 29, 2009
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
MANAKIN-SABOT, VA – The University of Iowa men’s golf team fired the team low score Tuesday in the final round of the VCU Shootout, moving up three spots on the leader board to finish tied for fourth. The Hawkeyes, along with Penn State, shot final rounds of 293 (+5). The Black and Gold finished with a 54-hole total of 881 (+17). UNC-Wilmington captured the title with an 872 (+8). Competition was held on the Manakin Course at the Hermitage Country Club in Manakin-Sabot, VA.
Not only did the Hawkeyes move up three spots on the leader board between the second and third rounds, every Iowa golfer improved his position on the individual leader board as well. Brad Hopfinger picked up his second top-five finish in three tournaments. The junior shot one-over-par to finish tied for fourth with a score of 217 (+1).
“Brad had a solid day and a solid three rounds,” said Head Coach Mark Hankins. “He did a great job of playing patiently and staying positive throughout the tournament.”
Barrett Kelpin also had a great day as he had three birdies and carded a 71 (-1) final round. The sophomore finished the tournament tied for 20th with a 54-hole total of 220 (+4). Sophomore Chris Brant tied for 30th after a final round of 74 (+2), which brought his 54-hole score to 222 (+6). Junior Vince India had several birdies Tuesday, bringing his tournament total to nine, as he finished tied for 45th with a total score of 226 (+10). Additionally, Brad George fired a third round of 75 (+3) to finish tied for 47th with a tournament total of 227 (+11).
“We improved each day. Today we showed the type of focus we need to compete for tournament championships,” added Hankins. “We trusted the game plan we talked about and that allowed us to shoot the low team round of the day.”
The Hawkeyes will be back in action Oct. 5-6, as they travel to South Bend, IN for the Fighting Irish Golf Classic.
1. UNC-Wilmington 281-290-301=872 (+8)
2. Virginia 287-294-296=877 (+13)
3. Wake Forest 294-286-299=879 (+15)
4. IOWA 297-291-293=881 (+17)
Virginia Tech 291-294-296=881 (+17)
Penn State 300-288-293=881 (+17)
7. VCU 298-283-302=883 (+19)
8. UNC-Greensboro 299-293-296=888 (+24)
9. UNC-Charlotte 298-296-296=890 (+26)
10. East Carolina 297-293-301=891 (+27)
Richmond 299-285-307=891 (+27)
12. Wichita State 293-300-300=893 (+29)
13. Maryland 296-306-304=906 (+42)
14. Mercer 309-298-302=909 (+45)
Individual Results – Par 72 (Top 3 + Iowa)
1. Corey Nagy (Charlotte) 69-71-70=210 (-6)
2. Brendan Gielow (Wake Forest) 70-67-75=212 (-4)
3. Derek Wallce (Wilmington) 68-73-75=216 (E)
T4. Brad Hopfinger (UI) 72-72-73=217 (+1)
T20. Barrett Kelpin (UI) 75-74-71=220 (+4)
T30. Chris Brant (UI) 76-72-74=222 (+6)
T45. Vince India (UI) 78-73-75=226 (+10)
T47. Brad George (UI) 74-78-75=227 (+11)