Jan. 24, 2010
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
IOWA CITY, IA — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team started off strong and never looked back in the 6-1 win over Eastern Michigan Sunday. The Hawkeyes dominated in doubles, winning all three matches and finished strong with 5 singles matches.
Zuzana Chmelarova and Merel Beelen finished first, and set the tone for the doubles competition. The senior duo downed Karina Ahuja and Georgia de’Lisle-Tarr, 8-3. Sonja Molnar and Lynne Poggensee-Wei followed suit, defeating Julia Breuss and Miriam Westerink, 8-3. The final doubles match featured Jessica Young and Kelcie Klockenga, who continued the trend, beating Xu Chang and Celine Donnet, 8-3.
“I think we did a nice job of taking care of business today,” Head Coach Katie Dougherty said. “Eastern Michigan played some nice second sets, and really made us play some good tennis in the end. Doubles looked very good today. We made some improvements and competed very well.”
Alexis Dorr carried her dominance from Saturday’s match into today’s competition, posting a 6-0, 6-0 win over Donnet in a quick match. Molnar downed Breuss, 6-2, 6-1 while Beelen recorded a 6-0, 7-5 win over Ahuja. Klockenga defeated de’Lisle-Tarr, 6-2, 6-4, and Chmelarova fell to Westerink, 6-2, 6-4. Poggensee-Wei forced a third set tie-break in the final match. The junior fought back from a 6-2 loss in the first set to win consecutive sets of 6-4, 10-5. Allison Majercik also competed in an exhibition match. Majercik posted a 6-0, 6-1 win over Rumbidzai Muskwe.
“We came out and we competed hard so we won,” Molnar said of her team’s performance. “We were all ready to fight at the beginning and ready to take every single opportunity. That helped us today a lot and didn’t really let the other team get a chance to get going.”
The Hawkeyes have a two week break before the next weekend of competition. Iowa heads to Kansas State, Feb. 13, and Kansas, Feb. 14.
1. #65 Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Julia Breuss (Eastern Michigan) 6-2, 6-1
2. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Xu Chang (Eastern Michigan) 2-6, 6-4, 10-5
3. Miriam Westerink (Eastern Michigan) def. Zuzi Chmelarova (Iowa) 6-2, 6-4
4. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Karina Ahuja (Eastern Michigan) 6-0, 7-5
5. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Georgia de’Lisle-Tarr (Eastern Michigan) 6-2, 6-4
6. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Celine Donnet (Eastern Michigan) 6-0, 6-0
Exhibition: Allison Majercik (Iowa) def. Rumbidzai Muskwe (Eastern Michigan 6-0, 6-1
1. Molnar/Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Breuss/Westerink (Eastern Michigan) 8-3
2. Beelen/Chmelarova (Iowa) def. Ahuja/de’Lisle-Tarr (Eastern Michigan) 8-3
3. Klockenga/Young (Iowa) def. Chang/Donnet (Eastern Michigan) 8-3