Hawkeyes Battle to Draw With No. 23 Illinois


Sept. 18, 2011

Box Score | Photo Gallery

IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s soccer team remains unbeaten after a 2-2 draw with No. 23 Illinois Sunday afternoon. The Hawkeyes played through two extra periods and cold weather to hold off the nationally ranked Fighting Illini’s second half attack and improve to 8-0-1 on the season.

Iowa’s offense was quick to put the pressure on Illinois’ defense. In the 10th minute, senior Morgan Showalter took a free kick from just inside the midfield line. Showalter sent the ball into the box where sophomores Leah DeMoss and Alex Melin were one-on-one with two Illinois defenders. Melin headed the ball through the defenders and over the hands of opposing keeper, Stephanie Panozzo, for Iowa’s first goal of the game. The goal is Melin’s fourth of the season.

Showalter fired a shot just 45 seconds later, but Panozzo was able to make the save. At 12:50 into the half, Melin challenged Panozzo from 20 yards out. Melin’s shot was rejected by the crossbar, but freshman Cloe Lacasse was in position to collect the rebound and hit the net. Lacasse’s 10th goal of the season gave Iowa the 2-0 lead.

The Black and Gold had several looks at the goal, but the Illinois defense made stops on each. The Illini nearly earned a goal in the 32nd minute of play when the ball found the back of the net, but the team was whistled for an offsides violation. Iowa carried the 2-0 lead into half time.

Following the 15 minute pause in action, the Hawkeyes were relentless on the attack, taking five shots to the visitor’s two. However, with 25 minutes to play in regulation, the Fighting Illini hit their stride, scoring consecutive goals in 1:11 of play.

The first goal at 67:03 was a short chip shot by Jenna Carosio. Megan Pawloski fed the ball into Carosio after an Illinois corner kick. Shayla Mutz was the second to score for Illinois at 68:14. Mutz’s header edged Iowa goalkeeper Emily Moran’s hands on the left side of the goal.

With the quick goals, Illinois forced extra time. Each extra period is 10 minutes long with golden goal rules.

Iowa had an opportunity to end the game in the first extra period of play. The team earned a corner kick with 1:01 on the clock. Showalter’s aim was just long, passing over the goal and sailing out of bounds. Neither team was able to find the net during the second overtime period, resulting in a draw in the first Big Ten game of the season for both teams.

Moran played 110 minutes in goal for Iowa. The winningest goalkeeper in Iowa history made 10 saves and allowed two goals.

“I’m really proud of the way we battled and played through 110 minutes,” Head Coach Ron Rainey said. “Illinois is an awesome team.

“The one thing that we will probably think about tonight and tomorrow is that we had that two goal lead and how do we maybe score that third goal or just keep them out of the back of the net. In saying that, Illinois played the same way for 90 minutes so we knew they would get their chances. I’m just really proud of the intensity of the game today and how we responded to it.”

Iowa continues league play next weekend with a road trip to Indiana and Purdue. The team faces Indiana Friday Sept. 23 and Purdue Sunday Sept. 25. Iowa’s match against Purdue is scheduled to start at 2:00 p.m. and will be televised by the Big Ten Network.