Feb. 4, 2013
Feb. 1, 2013
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No. 18 Notre Dame, 4-3, today at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Iowa rallied to claim the doubles point and rolled to 3-0 team lead with a pair of singles wins, but Notre answered with four consecutive three-set victories to spoil the Hawkeyes’ upset bid.
“Hats off to Notre Dame,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “They’re a good team and they responded when we had their backs against the wall. They battled well.”
Iowa’s top doubles team of Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch got the Hawkeyes’ momentum rolling when they rallied from a 4-0 deficit to earn an 8-6 win and clinch the doubles point, 2-1. Notre Dame had an early lead in doubles, claiming the first match, 8-3, at the No. 2 spot, but Annette Dohanics and Caitlin Hindmarsh answered with an 8-3 win at the No. 3 position to force Seaborne and McCulloch’s rubber match.
Seaborne then gave the Hawkeyes a 2-0 team lead when she scored a straight-set win over No. 58 Britney Sanders, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 1 position. Christina Harazin extended the Iowa lead to 3-0 when she battled for a 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 win at the No. 5 position, but Iowa was unable to slam the door on Notre Dame and the Irish escaped with the win.
“It’s a match we should have won,” added Dougherty. “It’s disappointing to lose 4-of-5 three-setters when we came in with fresh legs. It was a tough loss but it will make us better.”
The Hawkeyes return to action Feb. 8. when they host Creighton at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex beginning at 5 p.m. (CT).
1. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. No. 58 Britney Sanders (Notre Dame), 6-2, 6-3
2. Jennifer Kellner (Notre Dame) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Quinn Gleason (Notre Dame) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Chrissie McGaffigan (Notre Dame) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Julie Sabacinski (Notre Dame), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
6. Molly O’Koniewski (Notre Dame) def. Annette Dohanics (Iowa), 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
1. McCulloch/Seaborne (Iowa) def. Kellner/McGaffigan (Notre Dame), 8-6
2. Gleason/McGaffigan (Notre Dame) def. Talcott/Zordani (Iowa), 8-3
3. Dohanics/Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. O’Koniewski/Sabacinski (Notre Dame), 8-3