March 10, 2013
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team upset No. 37 Illinois, 5-2, today at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
“The team competed the best they have all spring,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We’ve been getting better every week and playing good teams. We were able to come up big against a very good Illinois team.”
The Hawkeyes delivered four straight-set victories in singles play. Ruth Seaborne picked up her fourth win over a ranked opponent this season, topping No. 120 Melissa Kopinski, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 1 position. Caitlin Hindmarsh’s 6-0, 6-3, victory over Audrey O’Connor at the No. 6 position improves her record to 6-2. Katie Zordani dropped her first set before rallying to a 3-6, 6-2, 10-3, victory over Misia Kedzierski at the No. 5 position.
No. 42 Seaborne and Morven McCulloch fell to Illinois’ 22nd-rated Kopinski and Rachael White, 8-6, at the No. 1 doubles position. O’Connor and Breanna Smutko topped Christina Harazin and Shelby Talcott, 8-1, at the No. 2 position to secure the doubles point.
Today’s victory marks Dougherty’s first win against Illinois since her time at Iowa.
The Hawkeyes will return to action on March 18 when they travel to Malibu California to take on Dartmouth.
Iowa (6-5), 5
Illinois (6-6), 2
1. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. #120 Melissa Kopinski (Illinois), 6-2, 6-3
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Allison Falkin (Illinois), 7-5, 6-0
3. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) def. Rachael White (Illinois), 6-3, 6-0
4. Breanna Smutko (Illinois) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa), 7-6, 6-2
5. Katie Zordani (Iowa) def. Misia Kederski (Illinois), 3-6, 6-2, 10-3
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Audrey O’Connor (Illinois), 6-0, 6-3
1 #22 Kopinski/While (Illinois) def. #42 Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa), 8-6
2. O’Connor/Smutko (Illinois)def. Talcott/Harazin (Iowa), 8-1
5. Hindmarsh/Zordani (Iowa) vs. Falkin/Jamieson (Illinois), 6-6 abandoned