March 21, 2013
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
LOS ANGELAS — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team closed its spring break trip with a convincing victory over Cal State Northridge today at the Matador Tennis Complex. The 74th-ranked Hawkeyes prevailed by a 5-2 margin in their third match in the last four days.
“The team stepped up today when they needed to,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “This was our third match in four days and they did a great job of battling. We feel good coming off the break with two solid wins, and now set our sights on Penn State and the rest of the Big Ten schedule.”
Iowa jumped out to a 1-0 lead after claiming the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches. Shelby Talcott and Christina Harazin earned an 8-6 win over Lorraine Cheung and Maria Pistalu in the No. 2 match. Annette Dohanics and Caitlin Hindmarsh clinched the doubles point for Iowa with an 8-3 win in the No. 3 match.
The Hawkeyes won four-of-six singles matches, including two in straight sets, to clinch the win over the Matadors (8-5).
Talcott cruised to a No. 1 singles victory, dropping only one game against Pistalu (6-0, 6-1). Sophomore Ellen Silver double-bageled Leslie Chang in the No. 6 singles match (6-0, 6-0). Hindmarsh prevailed in a three-set No. 5 singles match, 6-0, 4-6, 6-1. Katie Zordani made a terrific rally to win the No. 4 singles match against Lorraine Cheung. After winning the first set, 6-3, Zordani dropped the first five games in the second set. The sophomore from Long Island, N.Y., rallied to force a tie-breaker, and won the set 7-6 (5).
Iowa will continue on the road next time out, facing #37 Penn State (10-1, 0-1) March 29 at the Sarni Tennis Center in University Park, Pa. The match will begin at 5 p.m. (CT).
No. 74 Iowa 5, Cal State Northridge 2
1. Shelby Talcott (UI) def. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) 6-0, 6-1
2. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Morven McCulloch (UI) 5-7, 7-5, 7-5
3. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Christina Harazin (UI) 6-2, 6-2
4. Katie Zordani (UI) def. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
5. Caitlin Hindmarsh (UI) def. Alexis Marquez (CSUN) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
6. Ellen Silver (UI) def. Leslie Chang (CSUN) 6-0, 6-0
1. Yang/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. McCulloch/Zordani (UI) 8-6
2. Talcott/Harazin (UI) def. Cheung/Pistalu (CSUN) 8-6
3. Dohanics/Hindmarsh (UI) def. Schnyder/Warren (CSUN) 8-3