April 26, 2013
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell, 4-2, to No. 6 Michigan today in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals at the Varsity Tennis Courts on the campus of Indiana University.
“This match was a great battle,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We played well in singles and came up a little short. Michigan is a very good team, and we had them on the ropes there for a little bit. I’m happy with the way we ended this year, and the growth overall of the team.”
First-seeded Michigan took an early lead with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions to secure the doubles point.
Katie Zordani picked up the Hawkeyes first win of the day in singles action, topping Mimi Nguyen, 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 6 position. Morven McCulloch defeated No. 98 Sarah Lee, 6-4, 6-4, to record Iowa’s second point. The Wolverines claimed victories at the No. 2, No. 4, and No. 5 positions to secure the win and advance to the Big Ten Tournament semifinals.
Two Hawkeyes were recognized at Thursday night’s Big Ten Tournament banquet. Ruth Seaborne was named first-team All-Big Ten. Seaborne has started every match at the top of Iowa’s lineup in her first season on campus. She owns a 13-8 record and is ranked No. 89 in the ITA singles poll. In doubles action, Seaborne has teamed with McCulloch to post an 18-5 record at Iowa’s No. 1 position. The duo is ranked No. 43.
McCulloch was recognized as a Sportsmanship Award honoree. The twelve student-athletes chosen are individuals who have distinguished themselves through sportsmanship and ethical behavior. These student-athletes must also be in good academic standing and have demonstrated good citizenship outside of the sports-competition setting.
#6 Michigan, 4
1. #25 Emina Bektas (MICH) vs. #89 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 5-4, abandoned
2. #48 Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-4, 6-3
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. #98 Sarah Lee (MICH) 6-4, 6-4
4. Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) 6-1, 7-5
5. Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Mimi Nguyen (MICH) 6-4, 6-4
1. #7 Emina Bektas/Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. #43 Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 8-1
2. Mimi Nguyen/Sarah Lee (MICH) def. Shelby Talcott/Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) 8-1
3. Kristen Dodge/Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) vs. Annette Dohanics/Katie Zordani (IOWA) 4-5 abandoned