Nov. 5, 2013
- Read the November issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- 2013-14 Iowa Swimming & Diving Media Guide
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa sophomore Roman Trussov was named Big Ten Swimmer of the Week, the league office announced Tuesday. Trussov earned the accolade after posting a pair of NCAA “B” cut times in the dual against No. 7 Minnesota.
The Kazakhstan native swam four events against the Gophers, winning two individual events, while placing second and third in a pair of relays.
In the 100-yard breaststroke, Trussov took the top time, touching out in a season-best 54.37. The time was fast enough for an NCAA `B’ cut. He followed it up with a victory in the 200-breast, finishing in winning and “B” cut time of 1:59.19, more than two seconds ahead of the second-place finisher.
The Swimmer of the Week honor is the first of Trussov’s career. Last season, he was selected as the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Nov. 6. Trussov is first Hawkeye to earn the Swimmer of the Week honor since Ryan Phelan in 2011.
The Hawkeyes return to the pool Friday in West Lafayette, Ind., for a pair of conference dual meets against Purdue and Ohio State beginning at 3 p.m. (CT).