Dec. 21, 2013
- Read the December issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- 2013-14 Iowa Swimming & Diving Media Guide
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
AUSTIN, Texas — Former University of Iowa diver Deidre Freeman is a national champion.
Freeman dove to the 3-meter synchronized diving title with Maren Taylor on Saturday morning at the 2013 USA Diving Winter National Championships. The competition was being held at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center.
After entering the finals in first place with 309.90 points, the duo finished with a total of 308.10 in the finals to accumulate a score of 618 points. Purdue’s Casey Matthews and Michelle Cabassol were the runners-up, finishing 38.46 points behind Freeman and Taylor with 579.54 points.
The synchro title concludes a successful week for Freeman. Individually, she finished fourth in the 1-meter springboard with 525.65 points and 26th in the 3-meter springboard competition with 226.50 points.
The victory qualifies the duo for a pair of Gran Prix events this spring. They will be determined at a later date.