Jan. 31, 2014
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
NORMAN, Okla. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No. 28 Oklahoma 6-1 on Friday afternoon on the campus of the University of Oklahoma.
“Oklahoma is a very good team and we were outplayed in spots. We competed well for the most part,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
Iowa’s top doubles team of Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch paired up to knock off the 50th-ranked duo of Whitney Ritchie and Mia Lancaster 6-2. This is the second straight season the Hawkeye duo has defeated a ranked doubles team from Oklahoma. Seaborne and McCulloch posted a 9-8 victory over the 87th-ranked duo of Hermon Brhane and Whitney Ritchie last year.
Junior Morven McCulloch picked up Iowa’s lone singles victory of the day when she defeated Oklahoma’s Mia Lancaster at the No. 3 position. After taking the first set 7-5, McCulloch dropped the second set 4-6 before earning the victory in the tiebreaker, 11-9. McCulloch is now 2-0 in singles this season.
“Morven had a great day, picking up a great doubles win and singles victory. We have another great opportunity tomorrow, and we’ll use today as motivation and learn from it.”
The Hawkeyes head back to the courts on Saturday to take on No. 33 Memphis. Action begins at 11 a.m. (CT) at the Greg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion on the campus of the University of Oklahoma.
Oklahoma 6, Iowa 1
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (IOWA) def. No. 50 Ritchie/Lancaster (OU), 6-2
2. Devine/Chumney (OU) def. Zordani/Hindmarsh (IOWA), 6-2
3. Brhane/Wofford (OU) def. Talcott/Dohanics, 6-1
1. No. 106 Hermon Brhane (OU) def. No. 56 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 1-6, 6-1, 1-0(10-8)
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Mia Lancaster (OU) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
4. Morgan Chumney (OU) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh 6-4, 6-2
5. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Katie Zordani (OU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Emma Devine (OU) def. Annette Dohanics 6-3, 6-2