March 18, 2014
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
CHARLESTON, S.C. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the College of Charleston on Tuesday afternoon, 5-2, at the College of Charleston Tennis Center. With the loss, the 65th-ranked Hawkeyes fall to 8-4 on the season, snapping a five-game win streak.
“We had a lot of opportunities that we couldn’t convert on today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We were up in sets and couldn’t close them out.”
The tandem of senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch picked up an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles to improve their record to 8-2. The Cougars took the doubles point with a pair of 8-3 victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots.
“Doubles put us in a hole and we couldn’t dig out of it,” said Dougherty.
The Cougars secured the victory with three consecutive straight-set victories in singles.
UI junior Shelby Talcott gave Iowa its first singles victory of the day with a victory at No. 3. After taking the first set 6-2, Talcott fell 4-6 in the second set before winning 10-2 in the tiebreaker set, improving her record to 9-2 on the season.
Seaborne, the reigning Big Ten Athlete of the Week, won at No. 1 singles to improve to 8-3 and extend her win streak to six.
“It was a tough day out there for us all around and College of Charleston competed very well and didn’t give us anything,” said Dougherty.
The Hawkeyes travel to Minneapolis on Friday, March 21, for a conference match against the Golden Gophers of Minnesota beginning at 3 p.m. (CT).
College of Charleston 5, Iowa 2
1. #86 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Brooke McAmis (COFC) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 6-3, 6-1
3. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Mara Argyriou (COFC) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-2)
4. Samantha Maddox (COFC) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Katherine Schofield (COFC) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 7-5, 6-4
6. Jenny Falcone (COFC) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: (4,2,6,3,1,5)
1. Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Jenny Falcone/Katherine Schofield (COFC) 8-3
2. Kelly Kambourelis/Mara Argyriou (COFC) def. Shelby Talcott/Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 8-3
3. Samantha Maddox/Jamie Harrell (COFC) def. Aimee Tarun/Ellen Silver (IOWA) 8-3
Order of Finish: (3,2,1)