March 18, 2014
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa women’s tennis player Ruth Seaborne was named Big Ten Athlete of the Week by the league office Tuesday.
The senior from London, England, picked up wins in both singles and doubles in last Friday’s conference opener at Nebraska to help the 65th-ranked Hawkeyes (8-3) earn their fifth consecutive victory, 6-1.
Seaborne, ranked No. 86 in singles, improved to 7-3 with a straight-set victory over Nebraska’s Maggy Lehmicke at No. 1 singles, pushing her win streak to five.
In doubles, Seaborne teamed up with junior Morven McCulloch to record an 8-6 victory over Nebraska’s Mary Hanna and Lehmicke at No. 1 doubles. The duo won their third-straight match to improve to 7-2.
This is the first career weekly award for Seaborne and marks the first time a Hawkeye has won the honor since Sonja Molnar on April 17, 2012.