March 21, 2014
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
MINNEAPOLIS — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team dropped its fifth match of the season with a loss to Minnesota, 6-1, on Friday afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center. The 65th-ranked Hawkeyes fall to 8-5 on the year.
In doubles, senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch recorded an 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles, before the Gophers followed up with victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, securing the doubles point. Iowa’s top duo improved their record to 9-2, and has won five consecutive matches.
Seaborne, ranked No. 86, was the lone Hawkeye victor in singles, picking up a straight-set win at the No. 1 slot to extend her win streak to seven matches and improve her record to 9-3.
The Hawkeyes took the first set in three different singles matches before falling in tiebreakers.
The Hawkeyes kickoff a three-game home stand on Sunday with a matchup against Wisconsin at 11 a.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Minnesota 6, Iowa 1
1. No. 86 Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Tereza Brichacova (Minn), 6-3, 6-0
2. Natalie Pintusava (Minn) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
3. Jessika Mozia (Minn) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (4)
4. Julia Courter (Minn) def. Annette Dohanics (Iowa), 6-3, 6-2
5. Aria Lambert (Minn) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 6-4, 6-3
6. Paula Rincon Otero (Minn) def. Aimee Tarun (Iowa), 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 2, 3
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Brichacova/Mozia (Minn), 8-2
2. Courter/Pintusava (Minn) def. Dohanics/Talcott (Iowa), 8-6
3. Lambert/Rincon Otero (Minn) def. Silver/Tarun (Iowa), 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2