March 30, 2014
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to Michigan State, 4-3, in their first outdoor home match of the season at the HTRC on the Klotz Outdoor Tennis Courts on Sunday. The Hawkeyes fall to 8-8 (1-4) overall on the season.
“Michigan State competed very well today, and played the big points better than we did,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
Iowa scored the doubles point with a pair of victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions.
Senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch were down 3-0 at No. 1 doubles before winning eight-straight points. The victory extends the duo’s win streak to seven games and improves their overall record to 11-2. The tandem is undefeated (4-0) in conference play.
The Hawkeyes picked up two victories in singles, but not before Michigan State won four-straight matches to secure the victory.
“We put ourselves in a good position winning the doubles point, and then we dropped five first sets,” said Dougherty. “We need to be better at keeping momentum and coming out stronger in singles.”
Sophomore Annette Dohanics picked up the first of the two victories with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, win at the No. 4 position. Dohanics moved to 9-5 on the year and is now 4-1 in matches that involve a tiebreaker set.
Seaborne went toe-to-toe with Michigan State’s Marina Bohrer in a match that took nearly two hours to complete. After dropping the first set, 1-6, Seaborne came back to post a 6-4 victory in the second set. Seaborne came away as the victor after taking the tiebreaker set, 10-8, improving her record to 10-5.
The Hawkeyes hit the road on Saturday, April 5, for a meeting with Purdue. Starting time is slated for 12 p.m. (CT).
Michigan State 4, Iowa 3
1. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 1-6, 6-4, 10-8
2. Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 6-4, 7-5
3. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
5. Olga Chernova (MSU) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: (5, 3, 2, 6, 4, 1)
1. Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Marina Bohrer/Erin Faulkner (MSU) 8-3
2. Ellen Silver/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) vs. Julianne Gruber/Emily Meyers (MSU) 7-3, unfinished
3. Aimee Tarun/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Catherine Parenteau/Athena Trouillot (MSU) 8-5
Order of Finish: (3, 1)