April 13, 2014
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
EVANSTON, Ill. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell on the road to No. 12 Northwestern on Sunday at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center, 5-2.
The Wildcats were able to clinch the doubles point with a pair of victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions.
Senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch (14-3, 7-1) suffered their first conference loss of the year after falling to Northwestern’s Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett, the 29th-ranked doubles team in the country, 8-4. The loss snaps a win streak of ten matches.
In singles, Northwestern rattled off four-straight wins to take a 5-0 lead and seal the victory.
Seaborne (14-5) gave Iowa its first victory of the day with a win in singles over No. 34 Veronica Corning, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5). The win extends Seaborne’s win streak to five matches and marks the first time she has defeated a ranked opponent this season. Seaborne holds a 9-1 record in matches away from Iowa City.
After falling in the first set at No. 5 singles, 6-2, sophomore Annette Dohanics (11-7) came back to take the second set, 6-2, forcing a tiebreaker set. Dohanics won the third set, 7-6 (7-5). Today’s victory is Dohanics second in as many days as she remains undefeated at the No. 5 position (4-0).
The Hawkeyes conclude the regular season with a pair of home matches this upcoming weekend. On Friday, April 18, Iowa takes on Ohio State at 3 p.m. (CT). They follow up with a match against Penn State on Sunday, April 20, at 10 a.m. (CT). Sunday is also senior day.
No. 12 Northwestern 5, Iowa 2
1. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. #34 Veronica Corning (NU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
2. #40 Belinda Niu (NU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-2, 6-0
3. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 6-0, 6-2
4. Manon Peri (NU) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Maddie Lipp (NU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 6-4, 6-2
1. #29 Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Morven McCulloch/Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 8-4
2. Maddie Lipp/Nida Hamilton (NU) vs. Shelby Talcott/Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-5, unfinished
3. Brooke Rischbieth/Belinda Niu (NU) def. Ellen Silver/Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,2,4,1,6,5)