July 7, 2014
- Read the June issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone/iPad app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye android app
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — Incoming University of Iowa men’s tennis freshman Stieg Martens advanced to the semifinals of an ITF Pro Circuit Future Event in De Haan, Belgium.
Martens paired with former Mississippi State standout and Belgium native Louis Cant. The duo won their first match against Julien Dubail and Arnaud Graisse, 6-2, 7-6 (6).
The Martens/Cant tandem carried that momentum into the quarterfinals, upsetting top-seeded Fabiana De Paula and Juan Matias Gonzalez Carrasco, 6-4, 6-4. De Paula has an ATP Doubles ranking of No. 262, while Gonzalez Carrasco is ranked No. 993.
Martens/Cant fell in the semifinals to Maxime Janiver and Florian Lakat, 6-3, 6-4. Janiver/Lakat ultimately went on to win the tournament.
The two victories by Martens earned the Hawkeye six ATP Doubles points — the first points of his young career.