March 25, 2015
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to in-state competitor Drake, 4-3 on Wednesday evening. The Hawkeyes drop to 7-7 overall this season.
“Another tough 4-3 loss, this time against a tough Drake team,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We built momentum with a great doubles point and then lost four first sets quickly and couldn’t fight our way back into those matches.”
Iowa started the meet strong, collecting victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions to give the Hawkeyes the point advantage. At the No. 1 position, senior Shelby Talcott and freshman Anastasia Reimchen recorded an 8-2 victory over Drake’s Nell Boyd and Maddie Johnson. Morven McCulloch and Annette Dohanics secured the point for Iowa after defeating Summer Brills and Mariel Ante, 6-2.
Talcott led the charge into singles play as she collected a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Mariel Ante at the No. 1 position. The senior has gathered three wins in a row at the top of the lineup, advancing her overall record to 10-3 at No. 1 this season.
At the No. 4 position, Dohanics built off of Talcott’s No. 1 victory and took down Jordan Eggleston, 6-3, 6-3 to give Iowa the 3-1 lead.
However, the Hawkeyes struggled at No. 2 and No. 6 singles, as McCulloch and senior Ellen Silver fell in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-3, respectively.
The Bulldogs proved victorious as they took the No. 3 and No. 5 matches. Zordani forced tiebreaker points in the second set as she fought her way back from being blanked, 6-0, by Drake’s Adrienne Jensen. After a tough battle, Zordani ultimately fell 6-0, 7-6 (7-4).
Iowa unable to find a rhythm, Drake clinched the 4-3 win after the Bulldog’s Nell Boyd posted a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Reimchen at the No. 3 singles position.
The Hawkeyes return to action on Sunday, March 28 as they host Big Ten opponent Nebraska. Iowa will take on the Cornhuskers at 3 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Iowa 3, Drake 4
1. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Mariel Ante (Drake), 6-2, 6-2
2. Maddie Johnson (Drake) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 6-2, 6-1
3. Nell Boyd (Drake) def. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa), 6-4, 7-5
4. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) def. Jordan Eggleston (Drake), 6-3, 6-3
5. Adrienne Jensen (Drake) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Lea Kozulic (Drake) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish (2, 1, 4, 5, 6, 3)
1. Talcott/Reimchen (Iowa) def. Boyd/Johnson (Drake), 6-2
2. Dohanics/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Brills/Ante (Drake), 6-2
3. Zordani/Douglas (Iowa) led Jensen/Eggleston (Drake), 4-2 Abd.
Order of finish (1, 2)