April 10, 2015
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team (8-10, 2-6) fell to 18th-ranked Ohio State 5-2 Friday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
“The team competed well today. There was a slow start in doubles but we did a good job against a strong Ohio State team in singles,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
Ohio State gained the early advantage, taking the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. Morven McCulloch and Annette Dohanics faced a tough test in Ohio State’s 40th-ranked doubles duo Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus. McCulloch/Dohanics were beaten by De Santis/Niehaus, 8-6. Aimee Tarun and Anastasia Reimchen looked to put Iowa on the board but fell to Nicole Flower and Grainne O’Neill, 8-5.
“We did a lot of things well today and they need to carry over to Sunday. I’m looking forward to another good battle against Penn State and honoring our seniors,” added Dougherty.
With the match already clinched in Ohio States favor, Douglas and Tarun earned the lone victories for the Hawkeyes at the No. 4 and No. 6 singles positions. Douglas tallied a first set triumph over Sneed, 6-2. Sneed made it even with a second set victory. Douglas took the match in a close third set tiebreaker 1-0 (11-9), putting the Hawkeyes on the board. Tarun made it two in a row for Iowa with a three set win over Flower 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6).
Trailing 1-0, at No. 1 singles McCulloch faced De Santis. The Ohio State first position player edged out McCulloch in straight sets 6-2, 6-2, making it 2-0 for Ohio State. At No. 2 singles Reimchen was defeated in straight sets by Niehaus 6-4, 6-1.
With her team down 3-0 Dohanics looked to notch the first victory for Iowa but was outlasted by Kowase 6-2, 6-4. At the No. 5 position Zordani was defeated by O’Neill.
The Hawkeyes face another ranked Big Ten opponent next when they host No. 64 Penn State Sunday at 11 a.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Admission is free to the public.
No. 18 Ohio State 5, Iowa 2
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Morven McCulloch (UI): 6-2, 6-2
2. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Anastasia Reimchen (UI): 6-4, 6-1
3. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Annette Dohanics (UI): 6-2, 6-4
4. Zoe Douglas (UI) def. Olivia Sneed (OSU): 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (11-9)
5. Grainne O’Neill (OSU) def. Katie Zordani (UI): 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
6. Aimee Tarun (UI) def. Nicole Flower (OSU): 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
Order of Finish: 1,2,3,4,6
1. No. 40 De Santis/Niehaus (OSU) def. McCulloch/Dohanics (UI): 8-6
2. Zordani/Douglas (UI) vs. Kowase/Sneed (OSU): 5-7 abandoned
3. Flower/O’Neill (OSU) def. Tarun/Reimchen (UI): 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,1