Feb. 5, 2016
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Eastern Michigan, 6-1, on Friday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes are 3-0 for the second year in a row.
Iowa started the day winning the doubles point, and went on to win five of six singles matches.
“This was a strong win for us,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “There were points in both singles and doubles where it was 4-3 or 3-3 and those were the momentum shifts we were able to make. It ultimately decided which direction we were headed. We competed really well and credit to Eastern Michigan, they’re a good team.”
Anastasia Reimchen and Zoe Douglas got the first doubles win of the day; they defeated Klara Supejova and Andrea Martinovska of Eastern Michigan, 6-3. Following suit were double duos of Annette Dohanics and Aimee Tarun, as well as Adorabol Huckleby and Kristen Thoms both with wins to get the doubles point.
Sophomores Anastasia Reimchen and Zoe Douglas both won in straight sets. Reimchen defeated Eastern Michigan’s Klara Supejova, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 1 and now has a 2-1 singles record; Douglas defeated Andrea Martinovska, 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 4 spot to improve to 2-0.
“We showed a lot of fight today,” said Douglas. “We all didn’t play the best that we could have, but we competed well and that’s what got us through at the end of the day.”
Freshmen Kristen Thoms and Adorabol Huckleby won their singles matches, 6-2, 6-5 (3) and 7-5, 2-6, 10-3, respectively. Senior Annette Dohanics improved to 2-0, defeating Marie Mayerova, 6-3, 6-1, at the next spot.
Iowa returns to the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Sunday against Marquette at 12 p.m. (CT). Admission is free to the public.
IOWA 6, Eastern Michigan, 1
1. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa) def. Klara Supejova (Eastern Michigan) 6-2, 6-4
2. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) def. Marie Mayerova (Eastern Michigan) 6-3, 6-1
3. Kristen Thoms (Iowa) def. Ani Gogvadze (Eastern Michigan) 6-2, 6-5 (3)
4. Zoe Douglas (Iowa) def. Andrea Martinovska (Eastern Michigan) 6-4, 6-2
5. Anna Veleva (Eastern Michigan) def. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) 6-4, 4-6, (10-8)
6. Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa) def. Renu Sharma (Eastern Michigan) 7-5, 2-6, 10-3
Order of finish: (2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5)
1. Reimchen/Douglas (Iowa) def. Supejova/Martinovska (Eastern Michigan), 6-3
2. Dohanics/Tarun (Iowa) def. Mayerova/Gogvadze (Eastern Michigan), 6-4
3. Huckleby/Thoms (Iowa) led. Veleva/Sharma (Eastern Michigan), 4-4 (Abd.)
Order of finish: (1, 2, 3)