Feb. 15, 2016
- 2016 Olympic Trails at Carver-Hawkeye Arena
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The second-ranked University of Iowa wrestling program hosts third-ranked North Carolina State on Monday, Feb. 22, in the 2016 NWCA Division I National Championships Dual Series. The National Wrestling Coaches Association announced the official pairings Sunday.
The Iowa-NC State dual starts at 7 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Mat at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth, and available for purchase at the UI Athletics Tickets Office, over the phone at 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or online at hawkeyesports.com.
Formerly the NWCA National Duals Tournament, the 2016 National Championships Dual Series matches the top eight Big Ten programs against regular season champions from the Big 12 (Oklahoma State), ACC (Virginia Tech), EIW (Lehigh), EWL (Edinboro), MAC (Missouri), SoCon (Appalachian State). North Carolina State and Iowa State were selected as at-large teams.
Iowa, co-Big Ten regular season champions with Penn State, is 16-0 overall with a perfect 9-0 conference record. North Carolina State is 22-1 overall and placed second in the ACC with an 8-1 record. The Wolfpack’s 22 wins lead the country.
Iowa is 4-0 all-time against North Carolina State. Monday’s dual is the first meeting between the programs since Iowa’s 37-9 win in 2007. The Wolfpack has seven wrestlers ranked in the top 20, including returning All-American Kevin Jack (141) and two-time NCAA Champion Nick Gwiazdowski (285).
Penn State wrestles fourth-ranked Oklahoma State for the National Championships Dual Series title. The Nittany Lions’ berth in the championship is based off their No. 1 ranking in the USA Today/NWCA Division I Coaches’ Poll. The Cowboys are the highest ranked league champion outside the Big Ten Conference. Iowa defeated Oklahoma State, 18-16, in the season-opening Grapple on the Gridiron.
Below is the complete schedule for the NWCA Division I National Championships Dual Series:
- NC State at Iowa, Monday, Feb. 22, 7 p.m. CT
- Iowa State at Minnesota, Friday, Feb. 19, 7:30 p.m. CT
- Lehigh at Rutgers , Saturday: Feb. 20, 7 p.m. CT
- Appalachian State at Indiana, Sunday, Feb. 21, 12 p.m. CT
- Missouri at Nebraska, Sunday, Feb. 21, 2 p.m. CT
- Virginia Tech at Michigan, Sunday, Feb. 21, 1 p.m. CT
- Oklahoma State at Penn State, Sunday, Feb. 21, 4 p.m. CT
- Edinboro at Ohio State, Monday, Feb. 22, 6 p.m. CT