- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, IA — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated the Bradley Braves, 7-0, Saturday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes are 8-2 overall, and 8-0 at home.
The Hawkeyes won the doubles point to start the afternoon match. Anastasia Reimchen and Kristen Thoms were the first doubles combination for Iowa to capture a win against Bradley, winning 6-0. Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun followed suit on court No. 5, defeating Ashley Thai and Alejandra de Lasa, 6-2. Annette Dohanics and Zoe Douglas led their match, 5-4, before being abandoned.
“I thought we played a lot better today than we did yesterday, came out quicker in doubles and had some good starts,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “I think Bradley is a strong team and we did a good job of shutting them down.”
Freshman Adorabol Huckleby was the first Hawkeye to card a win in singles, defeating Malini Wijesinghe, 6-1, 6-0. Kristen Thoms match was retired against Alejandra de Lasa, 6-0, 1-0, to solidify the second singles win for Iowa. Junior Aimee Tarun defeated Ashley Thai, 6-1, 6-4 for the third singles win. Zoe Douglas won, 7-6, 6-4, over Bradley’s Alexa Brandt. Natalie Looney defeated Irinka Toidze, 6-4, 6-2. Anastasia Reimchen was the final Hawkeye to lock up a win, 6-3, 5-7 (4) at the No. 1 singles spot in the third set. All six Hawkeyes won the first set of singles at home again.
“I am pleased with how we competed all weekend,” said Dougherty. “The record speaks for itself, non-conference at home; we’re excited and ready to get Big Ten play underway.”
The Hawkeyes return to action Wednesday in Lincoln, Nebraska as they meet the Cornhuskers on the court at 3 p.m. (CT).
IOWA 7, Bradley 0
1. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa) def. Ariel Dechter (Bradley) 6-3, 7-5 (4)
2. Kristen Thoms (Iowa) def. Alejandra de Lasa (Bradley) 6-0, 1-0 (Ret.)
3. Zoe Douglas (Iowa) def. Alexa Brandt (Bradley) 7-6, 6-4
4. Natalie Looney (Iowa) def. Irinka Toidze (Bradley) 6-4, 6-2
5. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Ashley Thai (Bradley) 6-1, 6-4
6. Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa) def. Malini Wijesinghe (Bradley) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish (6, 2, 5, 3, 4, 1)
1. Reimchen/Thoms (Iowa) def. Thai/de Lasa (Bradley) 6-0
2. Dohanics/Douglas (Iowa) led Toidze/Dechter (Bradley) 5-4 (Abd.)
3. Looney/Tarun (Iowa) def. Wijesinghe/Brandt (Bradley) 6-2
Order of Finish (1, 3, 2)