March 6, 2016
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
CHICAGO, Illinois — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No. 53 DePaul University, 5-2, Sunday afternoon at the Lakeshore Sport and Fitness Center in Chicago, Illinois. The Hawkeyes are 1-1 on weekend matches in Chicago.
Iowa fell to DePaul in two doubles matches; DePaul won the doubles point and took a 1-0 lead going into singles. Anastasia Reimchen and Kristen Thoms fell to the DePaul duo of Rebeca Mitrea and Yuliya Shupenia, ranked No. 37, 7-5, at the No. 1 spot. Zoe Douglas and Adorabol Huckleby were defeated, 6-4, by Patricia Lancranjan and Marina Cozac. Before being abandoned, Zaina Sufi and Jarret Fisher led, 5-4, against Iowa’s Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun in the third doubles match.
“We played a very competitive match today against a tough DePaul team,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “Doubles was extremely tight on all three courts and the matches came down to one or two points.”
Anastasia Reimchen fell to Yuliya Shupenia of DePaul at the No. 1 singles position, 6-1, 6-3. Marina Cozac, 3-6, 6-3, 1-0, defeated Zoe Douglas after the match went into a third set. Annette Dohanics fell to Rebeca Mitrea at the No. 4 singles spot, 6-1, 6-3. Aimee Tarun fell to Zaina Sufi, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 5 spot.
“Adorabol did a great job putting our first point on the board,” said Dougherty. “She has been a great spark every time she’s been put in the line-up. Kristen stepped up big time today and beat a very strong opponent. I believe we took a step forward in many ways today and we’ll use it going forward next week at Indiana.”
The Hawkeyes return to action Saturday in Bloomington, Indiana for a Big Ten matchup against the Indiana Hoosiers at 10 a.m. (CT).
IOWA 2, DePaul 5
1. Yuliya Shupenia (DU) def. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa), 6-1, 6-3
2. Marina Cozac (DU) def. Zoe Douglas (Iowa), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0
3. Kristen Thoms (Iowa) def. Patricia Lancranjan (DU), 7-6, 6-4, 1-0
4. Rebeca Mitrea (DU) def. Annette Dohanics (Iowa), 6-1, 6-3
5. Zaina Sufi (DU) def. Aimee Tarun (Iowa), 6-2, 6-3
6. Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa) def. Jarret Fisher (DU), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish (4, 1, 5, 6, 2, 3)
1. Mitrea/Shupenia (DU) def. Reimchen/Thoms (Iowa), 7-5
2. Lancranjan/Cozac (DU) def. Douglas/Huckleby (Iowa), 6-4
3. Sufi/Fisher (DU) led. Tarun/Looney (Iowa), 5-4 (Abd.)
Order of Finish (1, 2, 3)