March 12, 2016
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the No. 50 ranked University of Indiana, 3-4, in Bloomington during Saturday afternoons dual match.
The Hawkeyes were unable to clinch the doubles point to start the match. Anastasia Reimchen and Kristen Thoms, paired together on court No. 1, fell to Natalie Whalen and Sarah McLean of Indiana, 6-3. Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun were defeated by Danielle Wolf and Madison Appel, 6-4, to solidify the doubles point for the Hoosiers.
“We had a number of opportunities in doubles that we didn’t capitalize on and that hurt us today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We have a number of younger players in the line-up that are still a little up and down on the Big Ten stage, but we’re improving every week.”
Anastasia Reimchen defeated Madison Appel, 6-4, 7-5, at the No. 1 singles position for the Hawkeyes. Zoe Douglas won, 6-2, 7-6 (6), against Paula Gutierrez in the No. 2 spot. Kristen Thoms, Annette Dohanics, and Adorabol Huckleby were unable to solidify singles wins against Indiana. Aimee Tarun defeated Danielle Wolf, 3-6, 6-3, 3-2, the match was retired during the third set.
“Anastasia got her first win at No. 1 in the Big Ten and is playing very good tennis,” said Dougherty. “Zoe and Aimee also did very good job against tough opponents today.”
The Hawkeyes return to action in South Florida on Wednesday, dual match begins at 11 a.m.
IOWA 3, Indiana 4
1. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA) def. Madison Appel (IU), 6-4, 7-5
2. Zoe Douglas (IOWA) def. Paula Gutierrez (IU), 6-2, 7-6 (6)
3. Sarah McLean (IU) def. Kristen Thoms (IOWA), 6-4, 6-2
4. Stephanie Smith (IU) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA), 6-2, 6-4
5. Natalie Whalen (IU) def. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA), 6-3, 7-5
6. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) def. Danielle Wolf (IU), 3-6, 6-3, 3-2, retired
Order of Finish (4, 5, 3, 1, 2, 6)
1. Whalen/McLean (IU) def. Reimchen/Thoms (IOWA), 6-3
2. Schmider/Smith (IU) vs. Dohanics/Huckleby (IOWA), 5-5, unfinished
3. Wolf/Appel (IU) def. Looney/Tarun (IOWA), 6-4
Order of Finish (1, 3)