MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. — The 73rd-ranked University of Iowa men’s tennis team fell 4-1 to 24th-ranked Michigan, 4-1, on Friday afternoon. The Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals match was contested outside at the Baseline Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Minnesota.
In singles action, sophomore Josh Silverstein left the court with a win for the Hawkeyes. The underclassmen topped the Wolverines’ Alex Knight, who is ranked No. 113 nationally, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 1.
Patrick, Jacoby, and junior Robin Haden were defeated in singles play on courts six, four, and three, respectively.
Michigan (20-6) took the doubles point to start the match. Sophomore Jake Jacoby and freshman Jonas Larsen paired up at two, falling 6-3 to Jathan Malik and Kevin Wong. Junior Nils Hallestrand and senior Dominic Patrick fell to Michigan’s Lubomir Cuba and Gabe Tishman on court three, 6-2.
Iowa ended its season with a 12-17 record, with five of its 12 victories coming against nationally ranked opponents.
#24 MICHIGAN 4, #72 IOWA 1
1. Josh Silverstein (UI) def. #113 Alex Knight (UM): 6-2, 6-2
2. #95 Jathan Malik (UM) vs. Lefteris Theodorou (UI): unfinished
3. Carter Lin (UM) def. Robin Haden (UI): 6-2, 6-0
4. Runhao Hua (UM) def. Jake Jacoby (UI): 6-0, 6-2
5. Kevin Wong (UM) vs. Jonas Larsen (UI): unfinished
6. Davis Crocker (UM) def. Dominic Patrick (UI): 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: (3, 4, 1, 6)
1. #81 Alex Knight/Runhao Hua (UM) vs. Josh Silverstein/Lefteris Theodorou (UI): unfinished
2. Jathan Malik/Kevin Wong (UM) def. Jake Jacoby/Jonas Larsen (UI): 6-3
3. Lubomir Cuba/Gabe Tishman (UM) def. Nils Hallestrand/Dominic Patrick (UI): 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2