IOWA CITY, IA —The University of Iowa women’s tennis team won its fourth straight home opener Saturday when it defeated Creighton, 7-0, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
“Creighton was a great opponent and we had to fight hard tonight,” said UI head coach Sasha Schmid. “I’ve been pushing them to be really efficient and clean in their matches and win as many points as possible. I think we did that for the most part tonight.”
The Hawkeyes started the evening taking the doubles point. Senior Aimee Tarun and sophomore Kristen Thoms were first off the court in doubles play, defeating Katherine Nelsen and Michaela Henne, 6-0.
Junior Zoe Douglas and freshman Elise van Heuvelen defeated Darby Rosette and Ashley Ishimura, 6-2, to secure the doubles point for Iowa.
Iowa won its first three singles matches to clinch the match. van Heuvelen was first off the court defeating Ishimura in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Douglas followed, winning her match in straight sets, defeating Nelsen, 6-2, 6-0.
Reimchen secured the victory for the Hawkeyes, defeating Rosette in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1.
Thoms, Tarun, and Adorabol Huckleby also won in straight sets. Thoms defeated Hylan Miller, 6-4, 6-2, and Tarun defeated Claire Embree 6-0, 6-0. Huckleby defeated Michaela Henne, 6-3, 7-6 (3)/
The Hawkeyes are back in action Saturday, Jan. 28 as they host Northern Illinois at noon (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
- Elise van Heuvelen def. Ashley Ishimura (CU), 6-0, 6-1
- Zoe Douglas def. Katherine Nelsen (CU), 6-2, 6-0
- Anastasia Reimchen def. Darby Rosette (CU), 6-1, 6-1
- Kristen Thoms def. Hylan Miller (CU), 6-4, 6-2
- Adorabol Huckleby def. Michaela Henne (CU), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
- Aimee Tarun def. Claire Embree (CU) 6-0, 6-0
Oder of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5
- van Heuvelen/Douglas def. Rosette/Ishimura (CU), 6-2
- Embree/Miller def. Reimchen/Looney (CU), 3-2 UF
- Thoms/Tarun def. Nelson/Henne (CU), 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 2,UF