|Date:||June 3, 2017|
|Location:||Houston, Texas (Schroeder Park)|
|Game Notes:||IOWA | Texas A&M|
|Statistics||IOWA | Texas A&M|
|Radio/Streaming:||Hawkeye Radio Network | Hawkeye All-Access ($)|
|Live Stats:||Live Stats|
|Online Stream:||ESPN3 (WatchESPN)|
|Game 1 | June 3 | 7:04 p.m. (CT)|
|Pitching Matchup:||Iowa: RHP Nick Gallagher (8-1, 3.39 ERA)|
|A&M: RHP Corbin Martin (6-3, 3.03 ERA)|
The University of Iowa baseball team will face off against third-seeded Texas A&M in a winner’s bracket NCAA Regional matchup on Saturday night at Schroeder Park in Houston, Texas. The game will begin at 7:04 p.m. (CT) and it will be streamed online on ESPN3.
• Iowa is 7-9 all-time in NCAA Tournament play in five tournament appearances. Three of Iowa’s seven wins have come under UI head coach Rick Heller in the last three seasons.
• Iowa is 0-4 all-time against Texas A&M with one of the losses coming in the 1975 NCAA Tournament. The two programs last met twice during the 1989 season.
• The Hawkeyes downed top-seeded and 15th-ranked Houston, 6-3, on Friday night. It was Iowa’s second victory over a ranked opponent this season. The win was No. 39 in 2017 — the fifth-most in a single-season all-time.
• Over the last week, Iowa has defeated the Big Ten Pitcher of the Year (Brian Shaffer) and AAC Pitcher of the Year (Trey Cumbie).
• Five Big Ten Conference teams advanced to NCAA Regional play. Iowa was seeded the lowest, but is the only team that won its opening contest.
• The Hawkeyes have had 10 or more hits in six of their last eight games. Iowa’s 8-9 hitters — Ben Norman and Mitchell Boe — went 5-for-6 with three RBIs and two runs scored in Iowa’s win over Houston.
• Iowa is 5-1 in the postseason in 2017, going 4-1 en route to the Big Ten Tournament title and 1-0 in NCAA Regional play.
• The Hawkeyes are hitting .282 as a team and averaging 6.7 runs per game. Four players — Tyler Cropley (.429), Chris Whelan (.348), Mason McCoy (.308), and Matt Hoeg (.300) — are hitting over .300. Hoeg and Ben Norman have six RBIs apiece to pace the team; Jake Adams and Cropley have three home runs apiece.
• On the mound, Iowa has a 4.03 team ERA, allowing 29 runs (26 earned) over 58 innings. The Hawkeyes have 42 strikeouts to 24 walks. Senior Josh Martsching is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA and two saves, allowing four hits over 10 1/3 innings and fanning eight to two walks.
Iowa has 141 victories over the last four seasons, the most in a four-year stretch in school history. Iowa has two of the program’s top five win totals during the stretch; 41 wins (second-most in 2015) and 39 wins (fifth-most this season).
JUNIOR NICK GALLAGHER…
• is 16-4 with a 3.39 ERA in 37 career appearances, including 23 starts. He has 159 strikeouts against 52 walks in 174 innings. The second-team All-Big Ten selection is 8-1 with a 3.39 ERA in 2017 — the win total is tied for the league lead, while the ERA ranks 12th. He has 83 strikeouts to tie for fifth and his 90 1/3 innings are tied for second despite missing his March 17 start at Kansas State.
• is 6-0 with a 3.03 ERA over his last 10 starts. He has allowed 63 hits and fanned 56 over 62 1/3 innings.
• has nine quality starts in 2017 and has logged at least seven innings in eight of his 14 starts. Gallagher has five games with seven or more strikeouts this season.