DAVIS, Calif. — The 17th-ranked University of Iowa field hockey team shut out UC Davis, 4-0 for its second consecutive win. The Hawkeyes are now 2-3 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Freshman Madeleine Murphy got the Hawkeyes started once again, scoring her third goal in as many games in the seventh minute to give Iowa a 1-0 lead. Sophomore Katie Birch scored her fourth and fifth goals of the season in the match. Birch’s first goal came in the 48th minute off of a penalty corner. She added her second goal in 64th minute of off a penalty stroke. Freshman Lizzy Cimilluca rounded out Iowa’s scoring with her first career goal in the 66th minute. The Hawkeyes again showed strong defense and solid goaltending to hold UC Davis scoreless and secure their second win of the season.
- Birch tallied two goals today, giving her two multiple goal games this season.
- Murphy has scored goals in three straight games. She ranks second on the team in goals (3) and points (7).
- Senior goalkeeper Katie Jones recorded three saves in the victory for her second straight shutout. Jones now has three career shutouts.
- The Hawkeyes recorded a season-high 15 shots with Birch leading the way with six.
- Freshman Ellie Holley, junior Makenna Grewe, and Murphy all registered assists in the victory.
ROAD TRIP RECAP
- The Hawkeyes went 2-1 on their west coast road trip, and are now 2-3 on the season.
- Eight Hawkeyes got on the scoresheet during the road trip, including three freshmen (Madeleine Murphy, Ellie Holley, Lizzy Cimilluca).
UP NEXT FOR THE HAWKEYES
The No. 17 Hawkeyes return to Grant Field on Friday, Sept. 8, taking on New Hampshire at 6 p.m. (CT) at Grant Field.